Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Certs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grimmskld

Grimmskld

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hey All,

I'm new here and was just recently hired by a local networking/IT company.  I am just wondering what is worth pursuing in reference to networking certifications?  I already have a good understanding of IT in general, but I don't actually have a degree within this specific field.  I have a BA in liberal arts, which counts for something but not very much in certain peoples eyes.  This company that hired me mainly deals with the setting up and the troubleshooting of servers in general.  I am trying to prove my worth with them so I don't lose my job within the first year I am here.  Upon reading some of the other posts, it does seem to be very cutthroat out there and by gaining certs, I will give myself the edge.  Any advice would help, thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

The problem with certification is that they are like a degree.  They prove you have a foundation, but not real world experience.

If you are interested in learning the information for a certification then by all means study and get the certification.  If you are doing it just to get the certification I don't recommend it unless it is required for the job you have or the job you want.

I was my company's Windows 7 SME, so I figured I'd get the Windows 7 certification.  I started studying and found out that the information required to pass the exam had nothing to do with how my company was using Windows 7.  Don't get me wrong, I know a whole lot about Windows 7, the problem is that a lot of what I know isn't on the exam.

#3 morris88

morris88

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

I have just been studying for my Network + and I am now ready for the exam.

As it has been said you can have as many qualifications as you like but with out relevant experience it can still be hard to get a job in the industry.

#4 Libyan expert

Libyan expert

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

its easy to pass the exam but its hard to find job with that cert

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

As a lot of people here have said, you can cert your self up to high heavens but unless you actually use the skills daily or weekly, what use would they be.

I did a lot of networking early on but the place i work out now doesnt require it. Everything network wise is managed by the ISP.

So i started doing a lot of server relates tasks and now a little more programming, but remember a lot of companies want to mould you into what they want and not what you want to do.

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

Certifications are a very good item to have on a resume, but they are not a very good core showing of competency.

In order of importance: job experience, a degree (though this is becoming more and more important), then certifications.

So to summarize, definitely go for any and all certifications you want. I have my Network+ under my belt and am working on my CCNT and CCNA.

Edited by TheShooter93, 05 September 2014 - 01:59 PM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users