Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bugs in RealPlayer Cloud

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 snyree

snyree

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Yesterday I had an update pop-up for RealPlayer. I made the mistake and did the update. Unknown to me, when I started the update my computer downloaded 37 bugs with the new RealPlayer Cloud and completely changed all my browser settings on both Chrome and Explorer.  Needless to say, I was one pissed off camper. To keep it short and to the point, I uninstalled Realplayer, but the bugs would not allow the uninstaller to remove the anti-spy software bundle that downloaded with RealPlayer. Fortunately, I use an excellent malware program called Malwarebytes and that found the bugs and removed the rest of the RealPlayer download and got rid of all the Bugs.  The reason for this post is because, when I did a search on Bleeping computer about this problem, I found nothing that was of any help, and was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with RealPlayer updates.

Edited by snyree, 03 April 2014 - 06:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

Malwarebytes is definitely a good program... It's a good thing you got all of the junk off your computer. While I have never used RealPlayer, I have had similar problems with other programs. It is not uncommon for freeware developers to sneak a bunch of junk into their programs in an "update". My suggestion is that you don't update a minor application (like realPlayer) unless you really need to, i.e. you have a problem with it and it is no longer supported. Of course, very common applications (like Java and Flash) make your system very vulnerable if you don't update them. Also, on a side note, don't update Flash or Java from anywhere but the official websites. You could get this exact problem again.

Also, it is a good idea to get in the habit of scanning files (especially executables) before executing them, so this type of thing doesn't happen again. I use VirusTotal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users