Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing sp1 et. al. fail after rereinstalling OS using OEM DVD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wjg641

wjg641

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

This is a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running an OEM Vista 32 bit x86 OS and wouldn't boot to desktop half the time. The system was inundated with adware, spyware and some malware and was quite unstable [each restart presented differing errors and problems].

The first actions taken were to run SFC and CHKDSK. SFC found files that it couldn't repair and are recorded in the CBS logs. CHKDSK found several missing files and corrupted sectors which were corrected.

Then, loaded and ran Malwarebytes AV [MBAM] which identified some innocuous adware etc. plus  Trojan.zekos.patchedwv0 - these were supposedly cleared! On restart, various hangs were encountered - no two alike! A 2nd pass at CHKDSK identified literally 1,000's of files that had invalid security IDs which were replaced by default IDs. At this point, I "gave in" and ran a rebuild of the OS using the Dell Reinstallation disk which, of course, required downloading all of the Updates [over 180 total]. I'm not sure if the Dell drivers are the most current.

Now I'm practically back to square one! So, re-ran MBAM - no errors; Downloaded and ran Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit [MBAR] which found the and removed the same Trojan. A 3rd pass of both MBAM and MBAR were non-eventful!

Now I hoped to complete the upgrades by installing SP1 then SP2 to bring the system up-to-date.

SP1 will not install so I'm turning to your forum for some comfort and advice!

Thank you, WJG641

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hello, Zekos is very tricky to remove and you ill need assistance.

Please follow this Preparation Guide, do steps 6,7 and 8 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 wjg641

wjg641
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Thank you for your response - I'm going to save the "Preparation Instructions" for later use if needed.

However, since I couldn't get anything going with the Dell Inspiron, I decided to simply do the following:

1. The HDD was inundated with bad sectors and a disk analysis test that I ran from the Dell support? site resulted in targeted read errors and the recommendation was to replace the drive. So, I installed a Toshiba 250GB 2.5" SATA 7200 rpm unit [the original was 160GB 5400 rpm.

2. Installed the Vista OS from a reinstallation disc from Dell. This, of course, required a significant amount of updates from both Dell [drivers] and Windows!

Now, the "problems":

A. The Internet Explorer 7 comes packaged with the Dell CD but when I try to update it  fails to load. I need to uninstall this IE version but it doesn't come with an uninstall path. I can't use Revo Uninstaller because IE is not a separately identified program. I'm leery of using regedit at this time until I know what's really going on.

B. Meanwhile I had all sorts of difficulties trying to get the Dell Support? [sic] site downloads to run. So, I downloaded and saved the files to my PC [HP Windows 8.1 desktop], transferred them to a USB stick and am now in the process of executing them - I'll let you know how I made out!

Again, thanks for you consideration and support in this matter regards, WJG641

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users