Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data transfer rates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, my desktop specs are listed below.

Operating System
Windows 7 64 Bit
Antivirus Software
MSE
Firewall
Windows
Computer
HP Pavillion Elite m9340f
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
Ram
6 Gig
Storage
700 Gig
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS
Case
HP

I want to transfer the contents of one DVD that contains some clip art and fonts, (468,837 files, total 3.57 GB ) from my CD/DVD drive to my Free Agent external HDD.

When I copy and paste the files to a new folder on my external drive, and the transfer process begins, it tells me that the process will take eleven hours and thirty minutes.

Does that seem like a normal time span to transfer that 3.57 GB, or are there some settings that I should check in Device Manager?

I have done two other DVD's that took less time, (2Hrs, and 4Hrs), but they held more data,(6.21GB and 5.71GB).

Could these wild variations in transfer time be caused by what the actual files are, or as I asked should I check something in device manager?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

I think you are kind of limited to the DVD read speed but 11 hours seems kind of excessive. The number of files does have an influence on copy speed though. You can try using robocopy to do the copying. It is command based but a GUI front end is available.

Robocopy Command Switches

WinRobocopy

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

does that time reduce / increase after you copying for a while?
if reduce that mean you computer still calculating that process and if increase maybe your DVD was bad and could make you copying process failed

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 GB2064

GB2064
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

abauw

No, the time remains the same.

I'm pretty sure the external HDD is connected to USB 2.0, I just do not understand how 3.57 GB should take eleven hours to transfer to my HDD.

I know that is a lot of data, but a 3 GB DVD movie plays in two or three hours, or am I not understanding something here?

That is why I wonder if I need to check out any settings in Device Manager, could some setting be slowing down my USB speeds?

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

are you try to copy from DVD drive to USB Hardrive? if yes then maybe that was the problem because it will copy to your hardrive that contains OS first then (temp file) then transfer it to external hadrive , it better to copy it to your hardrive that contain OS first then copy it to external hardrive for making copy process faster and to make sure that you could copy all data from DVD because sometimes if copying process taking time too long it will fail.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Lots of small files always take a long time to copy compared to a few larger ones.  But that does seem a long time.  If the DVD is in a poor condition this will also cause slow copying as the drive has to slow down to attempt to read the disk.  Disks with a lot of damage can seemingly grind to a halt before eventually reporting that some file is unreadable.... Nero Disc Speed is a free utility that allows you to check whether there are any quality issues with the disk.  How much info you get depends on your DVD drive (some have more support for error reporting than others) but at the least you should be able to run a disk scan to make sure all the files are readable.  It also has a lot of optical drive benchmarking tools, to allow you to test the real speed of the drive.

Edited by jonuk76, 03 April 2014 - 05:02 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 GB2064

GB2064
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the information!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users