Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer became slow after hooking up to Comcast Internet

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 auntna

auntna

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

I recently replaced an old Gateway computer with a newer, more capable Dell Dimension computer at a family members house hoping they would have a much better performance than the Gateway. The Gateway was unbearably slow and internet speed was awful. They are both running XP. Now this Dell seemed to work just fine at my house hooked to my DSL service from Fairpoint Communications. Programs worked fine and was able to view YouTube and stream shows. It was running good!

When I first hooked up the Dell to their Comcast "Hi speed" internet (which they also have their phone and cable service) the programs were working like normal. I still was not able to view youtubes without the jerking just like the old Gateway. After a week though now the whole computer is behaving slowly just like the old incapable Gateway.

My question is does this have to do with the Comcast internet doing something to the whole computer? Do I need to call them? I have not been able to troubleshoot much due to the fact I have limited access and time to do this plus it is taking so long to do anything on the computer.

I hope I explained the problem so it it understandable but I will answer any questions or restate the issues if need be.

Thanks for any ideas on this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Hello Hamluis,

Thanks for your reply. I will try to get to this whenever I visit the the house where the computer is now. It may take some time since I only visit maybe once a week. Please hang in there for me.

I am very curious about the cause of this problem. Like I said the computer ran fine here on my DSL but now has these problems while hooked to the Comcast internet. I have not tested the theory by unhooking it from the internet there to see if the machine runs better but it may be that something came in through the internet that has bogged the machine down? If so I wonder that even if they would get a brand new machine if the Comcast service would do the same thing to it?

I will try to get to this maybe this Sunday for you.

Auntna

#4 snyree

snyree

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Check and make sure windows automatic updates is turned off. This has been a problem recently for XP users.  When windows updates, it uses 100% of the CPU and brings everything else to a crawl. If that doesn't do it, then download Malwarebytes and run a scan for bugs that maybe slowing your computer down.  After that, if the computer is still slow, I would uninstall all antivirus programs with the exception of Malwarebytes.  Good luck

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

I believe that it's better to proceed with a methodical approach...and obtain some data that might be useful...rather than positing a "try this, try that" approach ad infinitum.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 April 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

I believe that it's better to proceed with a methodical approach...and obtain some data that might be useful...rather than positing a "try this, try that" approach ad infinitum.

Louis

I agree with Louis. At this time there is no indication that more than one antivirus is installed.

After that, if the computer is still slow, I would uninstall all antivirus programs with the exception of Malwarebytes.

MALWAREBYTES is NOT an antivirus program. If it is installed and there is only one AV, keep both of them.

In addition to the information requested by Hamluis:

What is the model number of the Comcast modem? Is it a gateway (modem/router combo)?

Is the connection to Comcast via wireles or wired connection?

Are other computers connected to Comcast internet slow?

Check the signal levels of the Comcast modem. The page linked to below also has other trouble-shooting tips.

Check your modem signal levels

To view your modem’s status page go to http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1/

• Downstream Power Level: -10dBmV to +10dBmV is acceptable for modems. -7dBmV to +7dBmV is the ideal range and is also the specified range for telephony modems.
• Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): This number should be at least 33dB. Higher is better. Anything less than 33dB and you will probably have slow transfers, dropped connections, etc.
• Upstream Power Level: This should be between 35dBmV and 50dBmV. If your levels are beyond this range, you will likely see frequent disconnects or modem reboots.
• Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): Above 30 is acceptable. Higher is better. Note: you will need to contact customer support to find out this value as it is not available via the cable modem status page.
• Upstream Receive Power: Ideally this number should fall within the -7dBmV and +7dBmV range. Note: you will need to contact customer support to find out this value as it is not available via the cable modem status page.

Note: Not all modems will allow you to view the status page and some will have different URLs to access this info. If you are unable to access your modem’s status page, you can contact Comcast Customer Support and ask the support representative for these values.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p/1253575

Post the results.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 April 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#7 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

Thanks Everyone for jumping in on this. A few interesting ideas there which could be helpful after we get going with this maybe tomorrow.

I will stick with Hamluis' methodical approach for now though I am anxious about Snyree's idea. I looked into it on the net and it could be a possibility since the machine seemed fine at first hook up in end of Feb or begin of March and then problems started. This machine had been off the internet for maybe 3 years. When it started having the problems I thought to uninstall IE and install the latest version I could get in either 7 or 8 don't remember right now. The reason I thought that was that I knew about another machine a few years back.that was having horrible internet and CPU speed and performance problems that was also hooked to Comcast and that was the fix prescribed by them which worked. One thing I noticed about the reinstall was that it took hours to get it in but still no improvement.

The XP windows update thing is being called "Exponential Algorithm in Windows Update" involving the svchost using most if not all the CPU resources. I will check the Task Manager first thing to eyeball that but it may not be enough insight because the family does not turn on the machine everyday for it to get regular updates and antivirus scans. So there is always a bunch of things wanting to do their thing every time it does get turned on. I always keep that in mind whenever I am there to leave it alone for awhile just to be able to do anything on it a little while later. But still the performance later is not what I had with it at my home on just DSL when it was in use. And this all started to snowball after it was getting windows updates again and I tried to replace the IE with the latest version XP could use.

So good ideas everyone. We will see what is found from the MiniToolbox scan tomorrow and go from there! I may go ahead and put the MiniToolbox on a USB to take with me since it would be faster. What other scanners do you think I will need to take with me?

Auntna

#8 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

I forgot to comment on the suggestion by Snyree to uninstall all Antivirus programs except for Malwarebytes. I do know that Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program that would replace the function of my AVG or other people's programs of Avira etc. Malwarebyte is a useful tool to use on a regular basis or if you suspect something has gotten into your computer. There must be a real antivirus program monitoring and protecting your computer at all times along with a good firewall if I might also recommend. I have ZoneAlarm as the firewall at the moment on my personal machine. It looks for suspicious outgoing activity as well as incoming.

#9 snyree

snyree

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

You're correct if you just use the free version of Malwarebytes. I would suggest that you buy the active version that will run full time and will update automatically.  I have used, just about all the programs that were available over the years including the ones you mentioned. I have found that most anti-virus software slows the computer down to a crawl and not very effective in blocking bugs. Malwarebytes is absolutely the best one that I have ever used and is very reasonable.  They only charge a onetime fee, and You do not pay an annual renewal, like most of the others.

I should also mention that one of my computers runs XP Professional and I had the same problem as you are having now. After a little research I found out that it was a common problem that other XP users were having.  The fix was simple. Just turn off automatic windows updates and do your updates manually. Now I'm not saying that there isn't something else that maybe slowing the computer down, we are dealing with XP and this is a common problem with the XP operating system.

Good Luck..  

Edited by snyree, 05 April 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

You're correct if you just use the free version of Malwarebytes. I would suggest that you buy the active version that will run full time and will update automatically.  I have used, just about all the programs that were available over the years including the ones you mentioned. I have found that most anti-virus software slows the computer down to a crawl and not very effective in blocking bugs. Malwarebytes is absolutely the best one that I have ever used and is very reasonable.  They only charge a onetime fee, and You do not pay an annual renewal, like most of the others.

1) Malwarebytes PRO version (which must be purchased) is also NOT an antivirus. It never claimed to be an antivirus.

2) It is now known as Malwarebytes PREMIUM. From here http://www.malwarebytes.org/premium/

How it works for you
• Anti-Malware/Anti-Spyware
• Malicious website blocking
• Real-time protection
• Heuristic detection
• Integrated Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit
• Hyper Scan mode
• Scan/Database update scheduler
• Integrated Malwarebytes Chameleon
• Advanced malware removal
• Antivirus compatibility

3) It is no longer "a onetime fee, and You do not pay an annual renewal"  fee.

On the same page linked to above it states
"1 year/3 PC's for only $24.95"

From the purchase page https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/purl-consumer?x-source=website&x-action=index_page

This is a subscription product with a fee of $24.95 per year. You may cancel your subscription at any time.

AUNTNA, I made this reply to counter what was stated by snyree. The back and forth about Malwarebytes has nothing to do with your issue and I do apologize for taking your topic off-track.

This is really not the time or place to continue talking about Malwarebytes so hopefully the train will get back on the track and this topic will return to what you intended it to be.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 April 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#11 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

Okay I got the log from the Mini Tool Box. First I want to say I had a problem with trying to do it from the USB drive. I had also put on the USB a program called Tddskiller in case it was needed later and the Avira popped up with a trojan alert on it calling it a TR/CRYPT.ULMP.GenTrojan. Anyway I said to Ignore but it kept up with the popups on it and would not let the MiniTollbox run from the USB. So I took the USB out and went on the internet to download the MiniToolbox and do the scan.

I must also say that the computer seemed to be doing better today for some reason. Still not blazing fast but not like before. I took a peek at the Task Manager to see what the heaviest user was and it was one of 6 svchosts running. The largest draw being at 23,816 kbs on the svchost System. Total usage on the CPU was between 1 and 3% only.

I also got the Speccy Snapshot which will follow the MiniToolBox Log.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 23-01-2014
Ran by USER (administrator) on 06-04-2014 at 13:07:44
Running from "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (04/06/2014 01:05:23 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application MiniToolBox.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module MiniToolBox.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00060bfa.
Processing media-specific event for [MiniToolBox.exe!ws!]

Error: (03/30/2014 04:41:29 PM) (Source: ESENT) (User: )
Description: svchost (652) An attempt to open the file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}\catdb" for read / write access failed with system error 32 (0x00000020): "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. ".  The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

Error: (03/21/2014 05:41:41 PM) (Source: ESENT) (User: )
Description: Catalog Database (656) Database C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}\catdb is partially attached. Attachment stage: 3. Error: -1032.

Error: (03/21/2014 05:41:41 PM) (Source: ESENT) (User: )
Description: svchost (656) An attempt to open the file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}\catdb" for read / write access failed with system error 32 (0x00000020): "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. ".  The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

Error: (03/14/2014 09:48:59 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (User: )
Description: Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (03/09/2014 01:29:51 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (User: )
Description: Hanging application SoftwareUpdate.exe, version 2.1.3.127, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (02/23/2014 02:58:13 PM) (Source: crypt32) (User: )
Description: Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (02/23/2014 02:58:12 PM) (Source: crypt32) (User: )
Description: Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (12/14/2011 08:50:13 PM) (Source: crypt32) (User: )

Error: (12/14/2011 08:50:13 PM) (Source: crypt32) (User: )

System errors:
=============
Error: (03/30/2014 04:53:43 PM) (Source: 0) (User: )
Description: \Device\CdRom0

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (04/06/2014 01:05:23 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: MiniToolBox.exe0.0.0.0MiniToolBox.exe0.0.0.000060bfa

Error: (03/30/2014 04:41:29 PM) (Source: ESENT)(User: )
Description: svchost652C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}\catdb-1032 (0xfffffbf8)32 (0x00000020)The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Error: (03/21/2014 05:41:41 PM) (Source: ESENT)(User: )
Description: Catalog Database656C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}\catdb3-1032

Error: (03/21/2014 05:41:41 PM) (Source: ESENT)(User: )
Description: svchost656C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}\catdb-1032 (0xfffffbf8)32 (0x00000020)The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Error: (03/14/2014 09:48:59 PM) (Source: Application Hang)(User: )
Description: iexplore.exe8.0.6001.18702hungapp0.0.0.000000000

Error: (03/09/2014 01:29:51 PM) (Source: Application Hang)(User: )
Description: SoftwareUpdate.exe2.1.3.127hungapp0.0.0.000000000

Error: (02/23/2014 02:58:13 PM) (Source: crypt32)(User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (02/23/2014 02:58:12 PM) (Source: crypt32)(User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (12/14/2011 08:50:13 PM) (Source: crypt32)(User: )

Error: (12/14/2011 08:50:13 PM) (Source: crypt32)(User: )

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

Acrobat.com (Version: 1.6.65)
AdblockIE (Version: 1.2)
Adobe AIR (Version: 1.5.3.9130)
Adobe Download Manager (Version: 1.6.2.60)
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX (Version: 10.0.45.2)
Adobe Flash Player 12 Plugin (Version: 12.0.0.70)
Adobe Reader 9.5.5 (Version: 9.5.5)
Adobe® Photoshop® Album Starter Edition 3.2 (Version: 3.2.0)
Apple Application Support (Version: 2.3.4)
Apple Software Update (Version: 2.1.3.127)
ATI Display Driver
Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus
CCleaner (Version: 2.28)
Dell Driver Download Manager (Version: 2.0.0.0)
ffdshow (Version: 20051124)
Google Update Helper (Version: 1.2.183.13)
hp deskjet 656c series (Remove only)
HP Display Assistant (Version: 1.40.013)
Java 7 Update 51 (Version: 7.0.510)
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.1.9.8)
Media Player Classic
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (Version: 1.1.4322)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2833941)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB979906)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 (Version: 2.2.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 (Version: 3.2.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Version: 3.5.30729)
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP (Version: 1)
Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs
Microsoft Kernel-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.5
Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs
Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In (Version: 14.0.5130.5003)
Microsoft Office Outlook Connector (Version: 12.0.4518.1068)
Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 (Version: 11.0.8173.0)
Microsoft Silverlight (Version: 5.1.30214.0)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053 (Version: 8.0.50727.4053)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.61001)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924 - x86 9.0.30729.4148 (Version: 9.0.30729.4148)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 (Version: 9.0.30729)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
Microsoft Web Publishing Wizard 1.52
Mozilla Firefox 12.0 (x86 en-US) (Version: 12.0)
Mozilla Maintenance Service (Version: 12.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) (Version: 4.20.9848.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) (Version: 4.20.9870.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) (Version: 4.20.9876.0)
MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) (Version: 6.20.2003.0)
PhotoScape
QuickTime 7 (Version: 7.75.80.95)
Revo Uninstaller 1.85 (Version: 1.85)
SDK (Version: 1.33.004)
Spelling Dictionaries Support For Adobe Reader 9 (Version: 9.0.0)
Spybot - Search & Destroy (Version: 1.6.2)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB976749) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2598845) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2345886) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2467659) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2541763) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2641690) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2749655) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2904266) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2934207) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB971029) (Version: 1)
Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime - (v9.0.30729) (Version: 9.0.30729)
Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime - v9.0.30729.01 (Version: 9.0.30729.01)
Windows Essentials Media Codec Pack 2.3d (Version: 2.3d)
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) (Version: 1.7.0069.2)
Windows Internet Explorer 7 (Version: 20070813.185237)
Windows Internet Explorer 8 (Version: 20090308.140743)
Windows Media Encoder 9 Series
Windows Media Encoder 9 Series (Version: 9.00.2980)
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Player 11
Windows PowerShell™ 1.0 (Version: 2)
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Version: 20080414.031525)
ZIP Reader 8.00.0018 (Version: 8.00.0018)
Zoom V.92 PCI Voice Faxmodem

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 64%
Total physical RAM: 511.3 MB
Available physical RAM: 183.3 MB
Total Pagefile: 1248.93 MB
Available Pagefile: 808.49 MB
Total Virtual: 2047.88 MB
Available Virtual: 1981.24 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

2 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:74.52 GB) (Free:54.62 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\DELL-D4100

Administrator            ASPNET                   Guest                   
HelpAssistant            SUPPORT_388945a0         USER                    

**** End of log ****

#12 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

To Queen-Evie and Hamluis,

I looked into the modem issue and here is what I found. First there are no other computers on the system. The modem is a Motorola Surfboard model# SB5101.

Signal Downstream   Frequency is 62100000 Hz; Signal to noise ratio is 33.5 dB and upstream power level is -16.4 dBmV. (Yes, I mean negative 16.4!)

Signal Upstream   Channel ID is 2: Frequency is 30350000 Hz and Power is 50.2 dBmV.

So there you are. This is the modem that is right at the computer. There is another box with lots of lights on it of some kind in the basement that all the cables and so on come out of. They have phone, cable and internet all with Comcast.

Is the negative number an issue? I haven't a clue.

Thanks for looking at that also.

As stated the computer was doing better today. They had it turned on yesterday so maybe all scans and updates were already done and nothing was interfering much with the rest of the applications. I did try to look at a YouTube vid and it was still very bad, not worth watching at all. The MS Update setting is on Automatic and I did not change it yet. I did not want to fiddle with anything until advised by Hamluis.

Thanks and I will probably not be able to do more until next Sunday? We will see. Thanks for your patience.

Auntna

#13 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:31 PM

Queen-Evie, I might have made a mistake in my notes but not sure. The first 3 items I believe were all for the Downstream signal but I see I wrote Upstream on the power level so this may have been mixed up with the other Power notation. Sorry I can't look at it to confirm that. There was a lot of confusion at the house with kids everywhere and concentration may not have been good. Sorry!

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

To Queen-Evie and Hamluis,

I looked into the modem issue and here is what I found. First there are no other computers on the system. The modem is a Motorola Surfboard model# SB5101.

Signal Downstream   Frequency is 62100000 Hz; Signal to noise ratio is 33.5 dB and upstream power level is -16.4 dBmV. (Yes, I mean negative 16.4!)
Signal Upstream   Channel ID is 2: Frequency is 30350000 Hz and Power is 50.2 dBmV.

Part of the issue could be the modem.

The Motorola Surfboard SB5101 reached end-of-life status in July 2013. 

What Does It Mean When a Device is End of Life (EOL) or End of Support (EOS)?

An End of Life (EOL) device is any XFINITY Internet or XFINITY Voice device that needs to be replaced after being made obsolete due to changes in technology. Older devices, such as cable modems, were not designed to support the faster speeds and improved security features that are available today.

For example, we have upgraded our network from the original DOCSIS 1.0 standard to the significantly improved and much more recent DOCSIS 3.0 standard. If you currently use a DOCSIS 1.1 or DOCSIS 2.0 device, you will not be able to enjoy the full benefits of our service such as higher speeds, greater security and better reliability.

In addition, in most cases an End of Life modem means the device's manufacturer has stopped providing support for a device, such as firmware dates and bug fixes. Occasionally, we will find a device that is defective and no longer suitable for use.

End of Life basically means we will no longer install the device, either as a new or replacement device. In addition, it means we no longer recommend that customers purchase these devices, whether new or used. It is also an advance warning that the device will soon need to be replaced.

Typically, if a device is identified as End of Life, it will subsequently move to End of Support (EOS) status. This means that when a device reaches End of Support status, it will no longer work on our network or be compatible with our network and/or services

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/end-of-life-devices/

If your downstream level is -16.4 something is wrong. I'll run the results by my connection expert to see what he says and will get back to you after I hear from him.

I will contact him tomorrow.

There was a lot of confusion at the house with kids everywhere and concentration may not have been good. Sorry!

Been there, done that. No need to apologize. (still doing it when the 6 year old spends the week or weekend with me, her nana)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 April 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#15 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Queen-Evie,

It would nice if Comcast would update their equipment as needed for the best customer service. I will advise the family about their outdated Comcast equipment and get that taken care of eventually. At least it will help with any computer changes they might decide to do in the future especially with XP coming to end of life also. I just wanted to get them going for now with this better machine since the Gateway is really useless at this point.

In the meantime I will continue with Hamluis in whatever else needs done from the scans so far.

Thanks all for your great wisdom and advice. I recommend this forum to everyone.

Auntna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users