Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 to look like 7?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CheshireCat

CheshireCat

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hey Guys (and gals),

I'm new to the forums and this website, so before anything i wanted to extend a hand and say hello!

I was wondering what you all thought was the best method for stripping away some unnecessary add ons to windows 8, and having it look, feel, and be used as if it was a windows 7 homescreen. Lastly, i'm wondering what the best method of going about this is, especially if you wanted to be able to easily return it to the original 8 layout (as if no changes have been made).

Let me know! Thanks again.

Regards,

Daniel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Start 8 was what a lot of people were using to get their Start button back after Windows 8 launched.  It is only $5.

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

Check out this link http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/future-windows-8-1-update-will-finally-bring-back-the-start-menu/

Soon it will have a start menu

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

Windows 8.1 does have a Start Menu, but it isn't the Windows 7 Start Menu.  Personally I get used to how it comes and deal with it as I may end up supporting it eventually.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Personally I get used to how it comes and deal with it as I may end up supporting it eventually.

That is what  Microsoft exactly plans. They know that we all will get used to the new interface with enough time.

Btw, you don't need to purchase any third party apps. Just wait a little - The start menu is coming back !.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179756-microsoft-finally-admits-defeat-will-bring-start-menu-back-in-future-windows-8-update

A two part update is planned. First one which will be released on April 8 will let you pin Metro apps to the taskbar. The second update will bring back the "Start Menu" but the exact release date is currently unknown. For the time being, you can use the free Classic Start Menu.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 April 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#6 CheshireCat

CheshireCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

Windows 8.1 does have a Start Menu, but it isn't the Windows 7 Start Menu.  Personally I get used to how it comes and deal with it as I may end up supporting it eventually.

I'd have to agree with Anshad on this one. I think they hope that the status quo will outlive any resistence to the change, and in the meantime as they work on getting that "update" out people are getting accustomed to the windows 8 layout.

Regards,

Daniel.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:51 AM

Btw, you don't need to purchase any third party apps. Just wait a little - The start menu is coming back !.

It's about time! Users has been complaining of the lack of a traditional Start Menu since the Windows 8 Consumer & Release Preview releases.

Though this may be way too late for the Windows 8 project. The next Windows, if on schedule with previous releases, is due next year & will likely be a better OS. Most of those who are buying Windows 8 computers are those who needs one. Many who has at least a Vista powered computer will likely wait to see how how the next Windows is received.

Based on prior historical sales, Windows 9 (if named that) should be a blockbuster hit.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users