Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

16 cameras connected by VGA, how to transfer signal to USB??

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 maxell505

maxell505

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

Hi everyone. I am using a Windows XP based PC and I have a whole surveillance system connected to this PC. I have 16 cameras in total and they are connected by two VGA cables. I recently bought an all in one PC(Windows 8) but it does not have any VGA ports. As of right now, I cannot connect my cameras because there are no VGA ports and I cannot change how the cameras are connected. Is there like a converter/cable I can get which will allow me to get the VGA cables(from my camera system) and transfer the signal to USB. VGA-female to USB.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

I've used some of the IOGear USB to VGA adapters in the past to add an additional VGA connections.  I do not know how well they will work for your application.  I would recommend getting one to try and then getting another if it works for you.

Edited by RKilroy, 03 April 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#3 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

I've used some of the IOGear USB to VGA adapters in the past to add an additional VGA connections.  I do not know how well they will work for your application.  I would recommend getting one to try and then getting another if it works for you.

Will something like this work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQU97BM/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/191-4770620-2142045

Edited by maxell505, 03 April 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#4 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

maxell505,

Who made the cameras? Model number?

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.  This is the link I meant to post for the IOGear products.  Like I said earlier, I'd get one and see if it works.

#6 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.  This is the link I meant to post for the IOGear products.  Like I said earlier, I'd get one and see if it works.

So with this device(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399021) I will be able to plug in one of my VGA cables and than have it switched to a USB signal and just plug in the USB to my computer, right? 

EDIT: Thank you so much for the link.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

No, you need one of the USB to VGA adapters.  I don't know if a KVM would work, I suspect not.  A quick look showed the Video Resolution is 1280 x 1024 for most of these.  I don't know if that is a factor in your implementation.

#8 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

No, you need one of the USB to VGA adapters.  I don't know if a KVM would work, I suspect not.  A quick look showed the Video Resolution is 1280 x 1024 for most of these.  I don't know if that is a factor in your implementation.

That is a little more than I would like to spend. Is there any cheaper option. Would something like this work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1PU17B7560

#9 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

Seems like you need something that can convert incoming video in to something that can be recorded on a hard drive. VGA graphics ports aren't meant for converting incoming video as far as I know. I'm wondering if your cameras use a DB15 connector but connected to a converter card with DB15 ports rather than a port that was used for VGA. Though I'm still wondering how 16 cameras connect by two DB15 connectors. I guess there's something that combines the cables from the 16 cameras. If a converter card was used then your new computer might support the card from your old computer.

#10 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Seems like you need something that can convert incoming video in to something that can be recorded on a hard drive. VGA graphics ports aren't meant for converting incoming video as far as I know. I'm wondering if your cameras use a DB15 connector but connected to a converter card with DB15 ports rather than a port that was used for VGA. Though I'm still wondering how 16 cameras connect by two DB15 connectors. I guess there's something that combines the cables from the 16 cameras. If a converter card was used then your new computer might support the card from your old computer.

there are 16 cameras in total and those 16 cameras each have their own cable and on the other end of the cable is a VGA-Male. There are two of these type of cables connected to two of the VGA-female ports on my old desktop computer. I am trying to change this to USB. I do not know exactly what these cables are called.

#11 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

So they are called BNC cables. So what I have right now are 8x BNC to VGA. I have two of these types of cables connecting to two VGA ports on my old desktop. Can I maybe do a 8x BNC to USB cable and just buy two of those?

#12 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:39 PM

I'm wondering if your cameras use a DB15 connector but connected to a converter card with DB15 ports rather than a port that was used for VGA.

I haven't had much experience with surveillance systems. Meh.. whatever the port is called, VGA or not, my concern was matched connectors won't guarantee it will work.

So they are called BNC cables. So what I have right now are 8x BNC to VGA. I have two of these types of cables connecting to two VGA ports on my old desktop. Can I maybe do a 8x BNC to USB cable and just buy two of those?

Thank you. That makes more sense to me. Your old desktop computer probably has a card like the one in this eBay listing. It's a video capture card. USB to VGA adapters for monitors don't support video capture. They're meant to work with video going out to a monitor. Maybe there are 8x BNC to USB capture boxes. I'm not sure. I haven't checked. I wonder how well the USB bus would work with 16 video inputs and if the software you have can work with video captured from a USB device. Do you not want use the capture card from your old computer in your new computer? Using the card seems like the least costly solution to consider first. However, the capture card in your old computer might be a PCI or PCIe card. Your new computer might not have a PCI slot for a PCI card. If your new computer has a newer operating system then there might not be drivers available for the card. The software that worked with the capture card might not be compatible with a newer operating system.

Edit: I did a little searching. This product at Amazon seems to be like what you have in mind. It supports only 4 channels. I'm not recommending that specific product. I just gave a link to it so you can see what I think you're thinking about. However, if the old capture card and software still work with the new computer I'd try using that first.

Edited by Windont, 04 April 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#13 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Sorry this post was a mistake and I do not know how to delete it. Look at my post below.

Edited by maxell505, 05 April 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#14 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

I'm wondering if your cameras use a DB15 connector but connected to a converter card with DB15 ports rather than a port that was used for VGA.

I haven't had much experience with surveillance systems. Meh.. whatever the port is called, VGA or not, my concern was matched connectors won't guarantee it will work.

Thank you. That makes more sense to me. Your old desktop computer probably has a card like the one in this eBay listing. It's a video capture card. USB to VGA adapters for monitors don't support video capture. They're meant to work with video going out to a monitor. Maybe there are 8x BNC to USB capture boxes. I'm not sure. I haven't checked. I wonder how well the USB bus would work with 16 video inputs and if the software you have can work with video captured from a USB device. Do you not want use the capture card from your old computer in your new computer? Using the card seems like the least costly solution to consider first. However, the capture card in your old computer might be a PCI or PCIe card. Your new computer might not have a PCI slot for a PCI card. If your new computer has a newer operating system then there might not be drivers available for the card. The software that worked with the capture card might not be compatible with a newer operating system.

Edit: I did a little searching. This product at Amazon seems to be like what you have in mind. It supports only 4 channels. I'm not recommending that specific product. I just gave a link to it so you can see what I think you're thinking about. However, if the old capture card and software still work with the new computer I'd try using that first.

It is an all-in-one computer so it most likely won't let me mess with the motherboard or add anything to the PCI slots. As for the old desktop I will have to open it and check for the capture card. It does look like to me that the eBay listing you provided is similar to what is in my old desktop. Maybe there is an adapter I can buy which is like PCI to USB. So I can just plug in the USB end to my new desktop and have the PCI end connect to the capture card(the ebay listing).

EDIT: I looked at the amazon listing that you provided and that seems to be good but I will have to order 4 of them (since I don't need audio and there are only 4 video ports). It says I can view 4 cameras on one screen. What if I buy 4 of these devices(the amazon link you provided) and hooked them up to 4 USB ports on my All-in-one? 

I shall be using the free open source software called iSpy that can detects USB connected cameras in my new all-in-one desktop PC. If I connect all 16 of my cameras using this method, will that surveillance software(iSpy) recognize them all as USB cameras? I will be happy to use any other software if recommended. The pictures of my existing cables and VGA plug that I had taken were too large in size to attach on this website so I have uploaded them to Mediafire so that you can download them from there and view them. Thanks. The link is below.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/aofkn3uvew9qp/

Please take a look at this link and advise. Thanks for spending so much time helping me. I appreciate that.

EDIT: I also noticed that the adapter(the amazon link) does not support Windows 8. Whereas my all-in-one desktop PC has Windows 8 operating system installed.

Edited by maxell505, 05 April 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#15 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

Okay, sorry looks like I was looking at this backward.  The USB to VGA are outputs, not inputs.  You would need a capture type device.

I have seen a USB to PCI adapter and did not have much success with it.  Recommend you look at getting a new solution, rather than trying to carry over your old solution to new equipment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users