Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games won't run after upgrading to Win 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

I upgraded my PC from Win XP to Win 7 a couple of weeks ago and now two of my games (Iron Front and Microsoft Flight) won't work properly, they jerk and stutter even though it says on their boxes that they're supposed to be Win 7 compatible.

They ran smooth as silk under Win XP, 
These are my system specs, can anybody spot something in there that Win 7 perhaps doesn't like?-

Processor: Intel® Core ™ 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~ 2.8GHz
Memory: 4096 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (1024 Mb)
O.S: Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
DirectX 11
HannsG HL249 24" LCD monitor

PS- Why is there a "Program Files" directory AND a "Program Files (x86)" directory in Win 7?
What does the x86 mean?
I've tried installing the games to both directories in turn but they still won't run smoothly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Microsoft Flight
Recommended (high settings):
CPU: Dual Core 3.0 GHz
GPU: 1024 MB ATI Radeon HD 5670 or 1024 MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800 GT or equivalent
HD: 30 GB Hard Drive space
RAM: 6 GB

Iron Front, normal settings:

Both should run OK with your 4GB RAM and 1GB video card, however, try running in compatibility mode.
Right click on the program's .exe file and select mode for Win XP, SP3

(Or Windows 7 and select 'Run this program as an administrator')

---------------------

Just one link for your PS question:

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

Which version of the MS Flight Sim are you talking about here?  I have a computer with very similar specs to yours, apart from being about three years older, and FS9 (Century of Flight) and FS X work fine on it straight out of the box, as do CFS 3 and 2. CFS 1 works as well but needs a bit of internal persuasion to get it to recognise a joystick. I have run FS 98 on it but I uninstalled it because, by comparison, the graphics are so poor in appearance.

The Program Files(x86) folder crops up on 64 bit Win 7 systems but  not on 32 bit systems. You will find that most of your applications are stored in the (x86) folder. There are one or two folders in each of the two Programs File folders with the same names, but a quick look in Explorer suggests there is virtually no overlap of applications between the two folders.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Thanks guys, for the record the local shop installed Win 7 for me, I assumed they'd updated my Nvidia drivers but perhaps they've left it to me to do that, so perhaps the solution is there? I'd better have a crack at doing it.

Incidentally the Microsoft Flight i was talking about is the free version but it jerks and stutters in Win 7.

I also tried installing my Flight Sim X (which ran fine under XP) but in Win 7 it freezes at the loading screen.

Important question- When installing games into Win 7 shall I let them choose by default whether they want to go into the Program Files or the x86 directory?

Or should I choose for them? What do you recommend, putting them into x86?

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

As to installation, I generally take the default offered and most of my games have just gone into Program Files, not Program Files (x86). I have also installed games into a directory created by me, just called GAMES, again no problems. They all run on Windows 7, Home Premium, SP1, 64 bit, on a dual core 2.13 GHz Pentium P6200, (not far behind an i3). These games are installed on a two and a half year old laptop, with only Integrated Graphics and 8 GB RAM, although they used to run perfectly well, with 4 GB RAM, without freezing, jerking or stuttering. They just run OK after install, I am not having to use compatibility mode.

Edited by petewills , 04 April 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

Thanks guys, for the record the local shop installed Win 7 for me, I assumed they'd updated my Nvidia drivers but perhaps they've left it to me to do that, so perhaps the solution is there? I'd better have a crack at doing it.

Incidentally the Microsoft Flight i was talking about is the free version but it jerks and stutters in Win 7.

I also tried installing my Flight Sim X (which ran fine under XP) but in Win 7 it freezes at the loading screen.

Important question- When installing games into Win 7 shall I let them choose by default whether they want to go into the Program Files or the x86 directory?

Or should I choose for them? What do you recommend, putting them into x86?

Generally you want to keep your video card drivers up to date. As far as installation if it says it wants to install into x86 then you better put it there. x86 programs folder is the 32bit the other one is 64bit. That's probably why you're having issues.

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thanks guys, I just updated my video drivers but the stuttering problem is still there.

As regards installing games, can we trust them to install to whatever default folder they suggest?

For example will a 32-bit game always choose the x86 folder for itself, and will 64-bit games always choose Program Files?

Incidentally, how do we know which games are 32 or 64 anyway? 

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

32 bit or 64 bit doesn't matter - you don't need to know !  Essentially, Windows puts almost everything into Programs(x86) and most things work fine.

The only exceptions I have come across are very old games. The two examples I have on my system are the MS Train sim and CFS 1 both of which seem to prefer to be installed into folders sitting on C:\ rather than in Programs(x86) or Programs. If you go into the UK TrainSim forums you will find dozens of posts on installing MSTS on Win 7. But these two games are very old - I think they were written for Win 95.

As a side issue, in this topic, I think you need to sort out your video driver problem. I have just bought a new 24 inch wide Iiyama screen and the display, at 1920 x 1080, is gorgeous. I'm in love! It certainly does nice things with my photos.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

Thanks, Win 7 installs some of my games into Prog Files and some into x86 so I'd better not overule it. 

Incidentally some games say on the box that they need DirectX 9, but I've got DirectX 11 on my system.

Is that a problem or should I try rolling back to 9 to see if it stops the stuttering?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 05 April 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#10 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

PS- I'm also beginning to toy with the idea that the shop might have botched the Win 7 installation.

I mean, my games ran fine with XP but after they installed Win 7 on the same PC, some games stutter and are unplayable even though they're supposed to be XP and Win 7 compatible, what do you think?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 05 April 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for that helpdeskgeek link petewills, I found it interesting.

Hi MickinPlymouthUK ,

Need DirectX 9, but I've got DirectX 11 <= Usually no problem at all. Are they XP games ?
Make sure you select "Run In Compatability Mode" for XP games on Win 7 if there is an option.

Microsoft Flight Recommended RAM: (6 GB) Vs Your Installed : 4096 MB RAM (4 GB)

Win 7 installs some of my games into Prog Files and some into x86 <= You should select "Install To Desktop" if you have the option.

Why is there a "Program Files" directory AND a "Program Files (x86)" directory in Win 7?
What does the x86 mean?
<= This is just the 32bit mode that means you will find WOW (Windows on Windows settings)

I've tried installing the games to both directories in turn but they still won't run smoothly. <= Will not help usually
Try the Install To Desktop option,

@ MickinPlymouthUK,
Try and post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only post the link).
Other problems may show up like Temps, or overloaded areas

I like to keep a history of mine (about 6 months old) http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3j6GHf2p0gLaKAWtBp7xERu
just if I develop problems, I have a record of the last year sitting there. This was 6 months ago, prior to its last update and clean up.

#12 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

Thanks guys I'm digesting all you say and will get on it, meanwhile the thought has just occurred to me that a virus/ malware/ spyware etc might be to blame.
I only use AVG for protection, this is its opening screen and I've run scans but my games still stutter-
Is AVG alone good enough or do you think I should also install a prog like AdAware?

8d7l.jpg

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 06 April 2014 - 03:59 AM.

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

PS- I'm also beginning to toy with the idea that the shop might have botched the Win 7 installation.

I mean, my games ran fine with XP but after they installed Win 7 on the same PC, some games stutter and are unplayable even though they're supposed to be XP and Win 7 compatible, what do you think?

What cpu is your system running? Reason why I ask as many games are still just single/dual core. This is a issue I would like to see Microsoft one day implement a user friendly cpu affinity profile that loads on boot. Then if you got a quad core cpu you can set windows to run only on two cores and set whatever you wish to run on the other dedicated cores. You can mess with affinity a bit, but it is not fully tweakble like that and it really needs to be as far as that goes. Futhermore, It might be possible to use a new user profile and axe/hack the hell out of it.

Some games you need to tell it to run multithread. By default it might be set to single core. It will have something like multithread=0 or something to that effect inside the config.ini, or startup.ini files in the root folder of the video game.

Also, to answer your other question..to force a directx on a game; I believe you do it in it's shorcut target field. As an example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Your_Video_Games\VideoGame.exe" -dx9 Hope that helps!

Edited by technonymous, 06 April 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#14 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

Update- the problem seems to have gone away!

Since my original post in this thread in April 2014 9 months ago, I've since bought a super-duper new computer and it runs Ironfront and the flight sims perfectly with Win 7.

So I assume my old computer was at fault in some way, or I somehow botched things back then, but it's all history now, thanks.. :)

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 13 January 2015 - 04:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users