Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive nearly full

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wickerman

wickerman

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

When i go on( computer) i find my C drive is 75% full . but my D drive (labled Documents)  is empty. i also have a dvd rw drive E  also empty.

and and 5 disks labled E G H I J also empty.is this normal. or should i take some stuff off the C drive and put it onto the D drive.

and if so how do i do it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 grouser

grouser

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

Silly Question (It's these that never get asked) but what is your limit on hard drive for system restore as this if set to Max  will over a period of time devour drive space 

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

78% of what?  Since you're showing a C: and D: drive I'd bet that it is the same physical drive partitioned into two logical drives.  In other words C: and D: are the same hard drive but Windows treats them as two different drive.  This indicates that you're most likely on a mechanical drive and even though your C: drive is at 78% you probably still have plenty of room left, depending on what you store on the drive.

The E:, G:, H:, I:, J: drives are normally indicate that you have a card reader installed to read different memory card formats.

#4 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Not sure Grouser. went on Google to find out how to find my hard drive capacity.( only learning on computers)   these are the stats i got from my hard drive.

Used  space 97.1gb

Free space 33.4gb

Capacity 130gb

not sure what all that means  but it looks like have a fair bit left is that right.   to answer you R Kilroy your right a friend of mine did partition it a while ago.

but i dont know anything about partitions so i left it as it was. i am only asking this question because i thought i might be in danger of running out of space.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Okay, so you have 33GB left, that's about four commercial DVDs worth of space.  If you're not copying DVDs to the machine you probably don't have much worry.  How much space is on D:?

The problem with your friend doing the partition is that you're the one using it.  Ideally your user data should have been moved to D: and you should have installed your software to D:.

I don't think you have to worry about the lack of space on C:.

You can move your user data to D: to make more space available on D:

#6 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

BC Adviser.thanks for that.i  think we origionaly meant for C Drive to store Windows 7 and all its' componenets, and use Drive for everything else'.but it all got put onto C Drive'

am i better off putting windows on D Drive  an everything else' on C Drive.because when i dowload software like Calibre or others it always' ' seems to go on C Drive.

i would be interested in splitting this up ,i will have a look at the link you sent me but wont do anything untill i get your reply.

ps D Drive is empty.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

Change your browsers downloads location. First go to D drive and make a new folder named downloads. For instance Firefox... Click on the Orange Firefox button & under.... Options--->Options--->General Tab. From there you need to browse for a new downloads file location under D drive. Typically by default the downloads go to the downloads folder located in your user profile. Such as...C:\Users\Your-Username\Downloads. From there you can move all the files to the new downloads on D if you want. I do it this way myself because I like C drive cleaned up so my backup images aren't so big.

Also another trick is cleanup the drive of dump files etc running disk cleanup. Limit paging to 400-2048 and also disable hibernation. Cmd.exe as administrator and command powercfg -h off this deletes the hidden hiberfil.sys on C: that literally takes up like 10gigs. If you don't use hibernation.

Edited by technonymous, 04 April 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#8 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

i am sure you mean well Technonymous. but all that is double dutch to me .i wouldnt' know where to start.

Thank you anyway.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

you're stuck having Windows on C: unless you reload the machine.  You are best off moving your data to D:, using the link I provided previously.  You can also install any new software to D:.  This may require that you select a custom install, normally I just change the C: to D: and that is enough.  Not all software will allow you to change where it is installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users