Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing some Programs in Programs and Features (Uninstall a Program) Menu

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

A family member was tricked in to downloading and installing some stuff from the Internet on to a laptop that has Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit with Media Center. I removed the stuff but noticed some other problems. I'm not sure if these are new problems caused by the useless stuff that was installed or if these problems existed earlier.

In Control Panel, Uninstall a Program, not all installed programs are listed. Oddly, the only listed installed programs have names that start with the letters Mi.. or Mo.. Only 14 programs are listed. In Start menu, All Programs, I think some programs are missing. The list seems unusually short. The laptop has a Win 7 style Start menu because IObit's Start Menu 8 program is installed. In Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, there were no shortcuts to the tools. I fixed that by using SFC /SCANNOW.

I tried using System Restore to go back to an earlier date but that didn't bring back the missing programs. I undid the restore. I created a new Windows user account. The new account had the same issues.

I guess the missing programs could be the result of malware. I don't remember exactly what I removed. I only used the free version of MBAM to clean up. I tried restoring everything MBAM quarantined but that didn't help. I requarantined the stuff. It was mostly, if not all, PUPs.

Any ideas for bringing back the programs that should be in the Start menu and Programs and Features menu?

Edited by Windont, 03 April 2014 - 12:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Windont

Windont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

I gave up. I restored the operating system and reinstalled everything. No problems now so I guess the problems of missing programs and BitDefender not working was caused by the malware/PUPs- a buggy installer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users