Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel WiFi suddenly angry with Apple Airport Extreme AC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Actor

Actor

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

Hi --

One of those problems I'm ready to pluck my eyes out of their sockets it's driving me insane  :crazy:

Setup:

• Airport Extreme 802.11ac Gen. 6 running latest firmware 7.7.2 -- Acting as WiFi Base Station - http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/ 
  • Dell Vostro 1520 laptop with built-in Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN WiFi adapter.  Current driver: The one suggested by Dell according to this laptop's Service Tag (version 13.0.0.107 from 09/15/2009)

Issue:

It started a few weeks ago.  One day, my laptop started to randomly disconnect from the WiFi in the house. Right now, if I try to connect, I get the message "Windows was unable to connect to NameOfTheSSID"

I can't remember if it started following an OS update. 

Facts that drive me crazy:

• Of course I have tried with the latest drivers (version 16.7.0)
  • Of course I have restarted the router several times
  • Of course I have tried to go back to that router's previous firmware (7.7.1)
  • I have then gone back to the dell-recommended drivers when that didn't work out (but I have kept the new ones handy in case someone asks me to change-up again)
  • This laptop connects well elsewhere on other WiFi access points (!!!)
  • Other devices in the house connect well to the Airport Extreme, including all Apple products, but also a Win7-64bit workstation with a Atheros DW1525 PCI WiFi adapter (!!!)
  • Another Wintel laptop (legacy XP) with a built-in Intel adapter is experiencing similar problems.

So it's like, they work, but not together   :(

I am including a screenshot of my WiFi adapter's driver properties.

I am currently connected using an Ethernet cable // Realtek gigabit // plugged into the same router -- That works fine.)

Thank you in advance for trying to help me figure out *why* the WiFi doesn't work.

P.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 03 April 2014 - 11:28 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Actor

Actor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Update --

As you can tell from the attached screenshot of Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, the built-in WiFi antenna sees the signal quite perfectly.

Attached Files

#3 Actor

Actor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

Update:

I was unable to connect to any another site today (see attached pictures).

So I guess it's not just because of the Apple device...

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   42.95KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.png   4.62KB   0 downloads

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:44 AM

Have you tried temporarily turning off any WiFi encryption you might have setup (i.e. WPA, WPA2 or even WEP) and seeing if that changes anything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users