Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In The Hijack This Process...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 laurafox0

laurafox0

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

went thru all steps now down to last and can't open the file help please

Mod Edit: Closed an open tag ~Animal

Edited by Animal, 18 May 2006 - 04:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:39 AM

Right click on the file, choose Open With..., then choose Notepad. This will open the log.

Copy and paste the log into the HiJackThis forum. Not this forum.

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 laurafox0

laurafox0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:11 PM

HJT file is on desktop just gives me option to open not open with thn ask to run fiel..i already did all tht..

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

I guess we need more info. What file are you speaking of?

Did you download HJT and install it? Then did you run a scan and save it to your desktop? Is this the file you are trying to open, the 'saved scan'?

Right click on the file in question and then click properties. Give us the entire name of the file including the three letters after the period. In other words it could be HiJackThis.zip or HiJackThis.txt or something else.

Please give us more info.

EDIT: I am thinking you may be trying to open/run the original downloaded HJT file. If you have already run this, and installed HJT, and run a scan.... then the program and the saved log can be found at:

Start > My Computer > C: > Program Files > HiJackThis

If you find the program and the log in the above folder, then delete the downloaded file on your desktop so as not to further confuse you. Please tell us if I am wrong.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 18 May 2006 - 01:26 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 laurafox0

laurafox0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:06 PM

it's .sfx

#6 laurafox0

laurafox0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

PS...when I try to open it my EWIDO pops up with that ADWARE E2give??? thn ask me to run file

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

Well, e2give is spyware. Info can be found HERE. But I am not sure what it has to do with running HiJackThis.

If you downloaded HiJackThis from Bleeping Computer, then you downloaded a file called

HiJackThis_sfx.exe

Is this the file? Instructions on how to use this can be found in THIS tutorial. Scroll down until you see HiJackThis discussed on that page.

If the file is actually called HiJackThis.sfx and/or you got it elsewhere, delete it.

You are not giving us much to go on here. I asked for more of an explanation in my last response, but really got none from you. I don't know if you have run the program yet, or just what is going on. One suggestion is to think that you are describing in detail what is going on with your computer - to a blind person. We, who want to help you, cannot see what is happening and must rely upon your descriptions and explanations, which have been very sparse. Please feel free to elaborate on your responses, k? :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 laurafox0

laurafox0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:06 PM

sorry I am at the very least ok on the computer i have no idea what im doing when it comes to security try to explain best I can....i have done a lot of updating microsoft security i didnt have and also have removed ewido and now have avgfree7.1 so I'll let go of this topic for now things seem to be ok it's good to have someone to talk to about these things and and I Thank you for all ur help and I will be back im sure...thanks again Laura

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:51 PM

When you donloaded Hijack This, did you install it on the system root drive (usually C:), or did you save it to the desktop?

It needs to be installed and run from the root drive - not the desktop.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:05 PM

It needs to be installed and run from the root drive - not the desktop.

Although that's not where I usually install it from, the .sfx file should install from anywhere. You double-click on it, press the "unzip" button, and then the "close" button. Hijackthis! is now in the C:\Program Files\Hijackthis folder. If the double-click doesn't work, then the file is probably corrupted and needs to be re-downloaded. It's self-extracting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users