Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MrDrumline

MrDrumline

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

Hey everyone!

First off, I'm new here, so I'd like to say hello and thanks for any help in advance.

Anyways, straight to business. I use my laptop primarily for gaming and music production, so performance is extremely important to me. However, task manager is showing my CPU usage at 100% even when no applications are running. Curiously, svchost.exe is anywhere between 40% and 70% of my CPU at any given time. It's the one process that's dominating my system. Obviously, that's a problem. Even stranger, my total CPU usage is pretty much hard locked to 100% despite the fact that all the processes on the list aren't adding up to 100%. I checked my power settings, and minimum processor state is set to 0%, so that shouldn't be it.

Digging deeper, I pulled up the Resource Monitor to hopefully find the cause. It showed my CPU using 133% usage. I'm not sure how that's even possible, but ok. Anyways, I filtered the services by the processes that were eating the most CPU, all of which were from svchost.exe. The service at the top of that list was RpcEptMapper. This is weird because the Remote Procedure Call process was only using up about 10% of my CPU.

I'd really like to get this resolved as it's really put a hampering on my computer usage. I'm know my way around my system quite well, so any advanced solutions you point me towards shouldn't be too far out of my ability. Right now, I'm worried that a specific setting somewhere is pretty much locking my CPU usage at 100%. I can sweep for malware but haven't found anything recently.

Lastly, my specs for reference:

Windows 8.1

Intel i7-3630QM @2.40 GHz

12GB DDR3 Memory
GeForce 660M

Two 750GB HDDs

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrDrumline

MrDrumline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

After some more digging, I've found information that links the scvhost.exe at 100% with Windows Update issues regarding Internet Explorer. I'm going to try to run some troubleshooting on it and I'll report back if I find a solution.

Edit: My problem has been solved! The issue was indeed with svchost.exe botching up some Windows Updates. A while back I disabled automatic updating because it was slowing down my startup time. Simply running Windows Updates corrected the problem, and now my CPU is running at a relaxed 5% usage while idle instead of an insane 100%. If anyone comes across this post in the future, check for Windows Updates and make sure you haven't turned them off automatically.

Edited by MrDrumline, 02 April 2014 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users