Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosting My Own Website

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:25 AM

Hi all,

l have three computers networked together, and a fourth l would like to use as a server to host websites??
Can anyone tell me the best way to go about joining the fourth onto the network (security issues, because this one will be open to the 'public').
What os and server software would be suitable for my 'server' machine.
The three already on the network are joined via Ethernet cable to a central hub.
Interenet access is via broadband connection through one of the computers.
So the other two are connected via hub -> computer -> internet.
The three computers run XP home, XP home and XP professional.
I plan to host three small to medium sites at present, but this may expand.
Any advice, info would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Geoff
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:00 AM

Since you are still discussing hardware, my recommendation would be to replace the hub with a router for a couple of reasons. First, with your setup, if the one computer that has the Internet connection is shut off, none of the others are accessible... not ideal for a web sites.

A router will assign addresses to the internal computers automatically, so all you need to do is foreward port 80 to whichever computer you plan on using for a server (sounds more complicated than it really is). The additional benefit of a router is that almost all of them have built in firewalls. Plus you don't have to leave the host system (the one with the Internet connection) on all of the time. So your connection will go modem->Router->all 4 computers. Routers are relatively inexpensive.

Your ISP may have port 80 blocked, which means you will not be able to host, or in some cases, for an additional fee, they will upgrade your account to a business class and open it. You will have to check on that yourself.

Basically any OS can be used. The server software depends on what kind of pages that you are wanting to host. Apache will probably be all you need (if you are doing static html), and it is free. Otherwise there is Tomcat for .jsp, and a dearth of others. I am running a Tomcat server on an XP home system... works just fine. Not the ideal solution for heavy duty use, but for my purposes, it works just fine.

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

Hi Groov,

thanks for the info. I'll invest in a router and get back to you.
My ISP is BT Internet, they have supplied an ADSL router for the broadband connection we use.
If I buy a router will it replace this one??
Bit confusing this networking ;-)

Thanks
Geoff

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

No, the modem translates the signal into a something your computers can understand (roughly). The router will route the signal to the various computers. (I like Netgear myself.. inexpensive, easy to use)

The connection will go to in your modem, out the modem and into the router. All of your computers will plug into the router. It's almost like the hub, except it has more capabilities. When you do get it, don't forget to change the default password as soon as you get it up and going.

#5 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:50 PM

Hi Groov,

I'll let you know how l get on.

Many thanks
Geoff

#6 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:11 AM

You will most likely have a dynamic ip address. I'll get to that in a minute. You can easily host your own website on an XP machine. http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html XAMPP is an open source program that allows you to install Apache server, MySql, PHP, PERL, Mercury Mail, etc... It really is simple to install. You can drag and drop from your desktop to the htdocs folder. If you own a domain and want to host from your own computer you will need a nify little program called DNS2GO made by deerfield.com Whether or not you have a dynamic ip or are behind a router if will help you host your webserver. Using DNS2GO it will take your webserver and automatically make sure that it connects to their DNS servers and route the information to the proper domain. Definitely check into those two products as they will definitely help you get up and running even if you are totally a beginner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users