Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite download speed issue (BIOS issue?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DaBiz

DaBiz

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hello,

I purchases a Toshiba Satellite C50-A-053 laptop last week and have been having issues with my download speeds. My provider allows for 10mbps and my old laptop & wife's laptop have no issues reaching that speed, meaning it must be an issue with this computer. At first, I couldn't get the speed going over 0.75mbps making basic browsing slow. I reset and updated the BIOS which has helped somewhat. I can now get 10mbps on startup but over time, it will just jump back down to the 0.75mbps. If I disconnect and reconnect to my wifi, that will fix the speed issue, but the same pattern just keeps repeating, making streaming/youtube unstable. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

Hello,

I purchases a Toshiba Satellite C50-A-053 laptop last week and have been having issues with my download speeds. My provider allows for 10mbps and my old laptop & wife's laptop have no issues reaching that speed, meaning it must be an issue with this computer. At first, I couldn't get the speed going over 0.75mbps making basic browsing slow. I reset and updated the BIOS which has helped somewhat. I can now get 10mbps on startup but over time, it will just jump back down to the 0.75mbps. If I disconnect and reconnect to my wifi, that will fix the speed issue, but the same pattern just keeps repeating, making streaming/youtube unstable. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried connecting the computer by ethernet to see if the same problem happens with a wired connection? If it does, then it suggests it is some general networking or Windows or even general hardware issue. If you don't have the same problem with ethernet, then it suggests it might be an issue with WiFi…either the hardware itself or the driver for the WiFi adapter.

#3 DaBiz

DaBiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

Hi Smax,

Thanks for your response. Since posting my original message, I updated to Windows 8.1 and with the update came some Toshiba driver updates. Since the update, all speed tests have been maxing out, so maybe that did the trick. If the issues arise again, I'll try the wired connection and post back in this thread.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

Hi Smax,

Thanks for your response. Since posting my original message, I updated to Windows 8.1 and with the update came some Toshiba driver updates. Since the update, all speed tests have been maxing out, so maybe that did the trick. If the issues arise again, I'll try the wired connection and post back in this thread.

Glad to hear that it sounds like you have a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users