Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing programs in "Programs and Features"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 m0t

m0t

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Hello,

I repair computers and lately I saw a few computers, all running on Windows 7, with missing programs in "Programs and Features" :
0l5dB.th.jpg
The programs that are missing in "Programs and Features" could be viewed in the Uninstall function of CCleaner :
ykL34.th.png

To clean the computers, and get rid of all the crapware installed, I used Combofix, AdwCleaner and did a full scan with Kaspersky.
When I saw that the missing programs didn't reappear, I did a "sfc /scannow", used Tweaking Windows Repair and did, in last resort, a Windows repair using a Windows 7 DVD and choosing "Upgrade" :
P42Yr.th.jpg

The programs didn't reappear even after all of this.
I know that programs can disappear in "Programs and Features" if the DisplayName value, in the registry, is more then 64 characters long :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
The thing is that the entries of the installed programs missing in "Programs and Features" are not in the above paths.
How can CCleaner see those programs ?

Do you have any ideas ?

Thanks,
m0t

Edited by m0t, 02 April 2014 - 05:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samexpert

samexpert

• Banned
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:22 AM

There may be an issue with user profiles.

How many user profiles you have in the system?

#3 m0t

m0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:25 AM

There was only one user profile.
I forgot about that, but I also created a new user to see if the programs would reappear; they didn't.

#4 samexpert

samexpert

• Banned
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:29 AM

i have sent you a private message.. can u check it

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

i have sent you a private message.. can u check it

BC requests that members conduct forum business within the open view of the forums...not by PM, email or any other semi-private communication.  This is for the protection of members receiving or perceiving suggestions that may result in confusion and error...and it allows all members to gain the knowledge that is attempted to be conveyed via sem-private means.  Additionally, it eliminates the possibllity of suggestions being made by members which are at odds with those conveyed outside the forum...while also eliminating possibly redundant suggestions both within the forums and via semi-private means.

Louis

#6 m0t

m0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Bump :bounce:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

I've deleted 2 posts by you...please, do not post "bump" messages here.  If any member had anything to contribute to your topic...he/she would have posted it and such would not be the result of posting "bump" multiple times.

If you want to post your ComboFix log...please read and follow the instructions for posting a malware topic in the appropriate forum, not this forum.

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

Note that malware topics are not posted in this forum...but in the forum containing the Prep Guide.

Thank you.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users