Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

router vs modem (for security)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 floyd1996

floyd1996

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

what are the security benefits that a router gives you instead of using a simple modem ?

I think that when you have a modem and someoone gets your IP then they have your computer's IP but with a router they only have the router's IP and they have to get in the router first to hack the computer 

is this true or false ?

please submit other security benefits of routers

thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jofus

Jofus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

Although you my be able to connect to the internet with either device, the two are quite different from each other. Something to keep in mind in regards to IP addressing. There are public IP addresses (the IP of your modem), and private addresses (the IP of your computer(s) and/or router). You see, when you connect a modem, it is issues a public (WAN) IP, static or dynamic, from the internet provider. If you have a router, it will have its own private (LAN) IP - typically the router will distribute additional LAN IP addresses to any computers connected to it, unless they have statically assigned LAN IP addresses.

In other words, when someone "hacks" you, if they get your IP it will most likely be your public, WAN IP that is assigned to the modem.

There are a number of benefits to using a router, but rarely are there security benefits. If you want to be safer, you need to take additional steps, such as installing a firewall, virus and malware protection, and keeping your system/software up to date. These are the most important things, if you have these setup (properly), it doesn't matter if you have a router or not. Now of course there is always an exception to this rule, as some routers offer a built-in firewall, and other security features. However, most consumer grade routers will not provide better protection than you can find by using software installed on your computer(s).

I hope this answers your question. If you are still concerned about anything I've said here, please fel free to let me know and I'll do my est to answer accordingly.

Thanks,

Joe

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

You may want to read through this related topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

I have to disagree slightly with Jofus, with the caveat of first saying a properly configured router, mainly not having the default administrator password and turning off UPnP.  A properly configured router will act as an inbound firewall by dropping all non-requested traffic.  This feature's security can be reduced if UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is enabled as UPnP allows software and devices to open up ports on the router without notification.  You can check your open ports by using [url=https://www.grc.com/intro.htm]ShieldsUp[/url}.  Click the previous link then select ShieldsUP from the Services drop down.  ShieldsUP will show you what ports on your router or computers are showing as open.  A router will not protect you from data that you request.  If you click on a virus link you will get the virus because you asked for it.

#5 QQR1

QQR1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:42 PM

The term " computer security " is very comprehensive . Very much. When we think about protecting our computer , we do in many ways . Therefore, one is our computer protect various types of attack.

From the little I know , a home user , you should not worry too much when a " foreign " person knows your IP . This is because home users do not run services like FTP , WEB Serivor etc. which are doorways for hackers .

Household users should then worry :

•  Keep your operating system updated ;
  •  Browsers and updated plug- ins ;
  •  Do not run suspicious files (which arrive in the mail box ) or from unknown sources sites .

So I think coming from hacker attacks which are sweeping the net with portscan , looking for vulnerable ports open , it is not a big issue for home users . It's a big problem for servers .

This my view , based on my current knowledge on the subject .

Sorry for bad english , I translated using google translator.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

"Security always begins with personal responsibility and that includes arming yourself with knowledge. You can't just depend on technology."
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 QQR1

QQR1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

"Security always begins with personal responsibility and that includes arming yourself with knowledge. You can't just depend on technology."

Did you know the words! Enjoyed the post. Thank you. 

----

Edited by QQR1, 15 April 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

You're welcome.