Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want new website using WordPress.com

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hello, I have a current business web site with a .co.uk mail link which goes to my current web host (Heart Internet). A friend of mine created my website a couple of years ago, but I now want go with a WordPress.com site so that I don't have to bother my pal every time I want to add or change something on the site, however, there is a few things that I am not sure about: what would be my position regarding receiving e-mail via the new WordPress.com site, also,will I be tied to having only one page on the new WordPress site, and does this mean I will no longer need Heart Internet??.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

Your WordPress site can be whatever you want; there are tens of thousands of templates available that cater to every context possible. Multiple pages, multiple columns, single page, blue theme, red theme, hiking theme, etc., etc., etc.

I am not sure what your concern is with email exactly. Are you getting mail through your current website? Do you have an email address that has your domain in it? Where do you plan on hosting your site if you do not plan to use your current host? Wordpress is a content management system. They do not host sites, although they will recommend some hosting providers.

#3 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hello groovicus, thanks for your reply, dealing with web hosts and the like is a bit of a Grey area for me at the moment, yes, I do get mail through my current web site with my domain in it so I think I'll just stick with Heart Internet. Thanks again.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

If I can clarify a moment; can you be explicit about how you get your email? Is there a form or something on your website that allows you to read your email, or do you use some email client to access your email at your domain? If you are actually reading your email on your website, a generic Wordpress installation is not going to allow you to retrieve your email.

If, however, you mean that you are using an email client to access your mail simply using your domain, then migrating to a WordPress site will not affect your email in any way that I can think.

#5 TonyinTexas

TonyinTexas

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I am a web host for several local businesses.  I set up every one of them on Wordpress exactly to allow the owner creative license with their site. Yes I do have to sometimes "fix"  something but no biggie.

At your webhost you will hopefully have a Cpanel control for your domain.  Using that you can add wordpress to your domain then add a theme then go wild on promoting your work.

This site Bleeping Computers saved my behind once two years ago and I am now back to ask for more guidance. So I want to give back pay it forward however you mark appreciation I am offering this to you:

At no cost I am willing to correctly load wordpress to your domain, set up a theme that you can choose from over  80 premium themes I offer, set up 5 email accounts on your domain and offer you my ebook on setting up Google Plus for your business.

Reply to this post  to accept my offer and I will provide a social media  way to contact me.

Point of integrity: You noted that webhosts are a grey area.. Not with me  I am a Texan and that matters.  You own your domain name on a domain registry. On it is the place for Domain Name Servers  or DNS.  If you send the domain to a webhost off of the registry then the DNS changes.  BUT  if at any time you do not like how your webhost  responds to you  then all you have to do is yank back the DNS  to the registry parking. This will require you to first back up your website through the cpanel at thewebhost and save it to your machine or cloud backup.  Then you upload it to your domain where you moved the DNS.

Others that see this post may want the same offer at no cost.  I will do it for a total of five BC members  to pay forward what this site has helped me with. just reply here

#6 TonyinTexas

TonyinTexas

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

If I can clarify a moment; can you be explicit about how you get your email? Is there a form or something on your website that allows you to read your email, or do you use some email client to access your email at your domain? If you are actually reading your email on your website, a generic Wordpress installation is not going to allow you to retrieve your email.

If, however, you mean that you are using an email client to access your mail simply using your domain, then migrating to a WordPress site will not affect your email in any way that I can think.

Email accounts are stand alone from the domain but accessed through the web host. It is my experience that emails can be set up in Cpanel and even forwarded to an email that yuo might use most often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users