Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Start Menu is Returning

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Windows Start Menu is Returning
Microsoft to bring back the Start Menu in a future Windows 8.1 update

Written By

Casey_boy

April 02, 2014 // 19:12 PM GMT

start-menu-windows-81-100259199-large.pn
Windows Start Menu returns. Image credit: PCWorld

Microsoft have confirmed today at their Build conference that the Windows start menu will be returning in a future Windows 8.1 update. Terry Myerson, the head of Microsoft's Operating System division demoed the "new" start menu and informed us of a few new features as well, including the ability to run Windows Store apps on the desktop in a windowed mode (as one might do with traditional desktop programs).

An exact date for the update has not been confirmed.

Keep an eye out on the build conference for more info.

Further Reading:

Source: PCWorld

Edited by Casey_boy, 02 April 2014 - 02:18 PM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

So a few users told me that this is a different update all together so I removed my earlier comment 

Edited by Allen, 02 April 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#3 StanFF

StanFF

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Well, after the enormous amount of people which were terrified of the missing Start menu, I think Microsoft didn't have any other option.

Regards,

Stan

"There isn't a person anywhere who isn't capable of doing more than he thinks he can." - Henry Ford

#4 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:21 PM

I think Microsoft is doing the right thing. :P

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

With regards to Sirawit's comment, I'm a +1

I'm not a Win 8 hater but if enough customers say they need or want something (please don't flame me, just expressing an opinion) I would think and hope any business would respond to that.

There are many of us here at Bleeping that have no problems negotiating a new OS or being comfortable learning or tweaking any app to our liking but a majority of folks just don't fit that category, so again, I think it is the right thing to do. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                                  All of the above = 2 cents              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

There have been a lot of Windows 8 apologists defending the Start Screen as "it's the future, get used to it." But asinine design for the desktop is unforgivable. I'm glad Microsoft have some to their senses and are making these changes. We'll see if the new, official Start Menu will replace my Classic Shell.

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Windows 8 has a learning curve, but it's next to nil compared to moving from Windows to Linux, which I just cannot figure out on my own.

IMHO the Metro Screen was a waste of programming code. I've worked on tablets and find it to be unnecessary, which is mainly what it was made for. No matter what I'm working on (with the exception of cellphones) I go straight to the desktop every time before I start running apps.

My only peeve (and continues to be so) is that 8/8.1 makes 'fixing' a system much tougher, because all diag/troubleshooting applications have been moved, reorganized, merged, or made less usuable. Without downloading additional software there is less you can do with the OS. Not a good thing. Maybe it shows that MS is overestimating the OSes performance- I think they just spent so much time/money/manpower on the flashy Metro screen that they didn't bother putting a good repair solution in place.

#8 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

Sometimes I just wish Microsoft stayed on making good Operating Systems like Windows Xp.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:50 AM

I think first Microsoft needs to remember we are the customer's therefore we are always right.

How hard would it have been to give people the option of a start button? A few lines of code and a widget on Metro asking do you want "clasic" clicking yes takes you to a start button desktop.  Give people a choice let them get used to the idea,.

On windows at start up you should be given a choice Metro or Start Button desktop.

As Linux has done, With adding desktop enviroments.

At boot up you are given a choice of what look you want( If they are installed)

Sometimes I just wish Microsoft stayed on making good Operating Systems like Windows Xp.

I and many other people used to say "I just wish Microsoft stayed on making good Operating Systems like Windows 2000".  "XP is rubbish nothing works on it there's no drivers"  everything I now hear about Win8.

And just FYI

I loved Vista but then I had a pc that could run it.

Edited by NickAu1, 04 April 2014 - 01:55 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 gettingthere

gettingthere

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Microsoft doesn't want non-Microsoft people working on their systems because we could do a better job at fixing problems than they could now they are taking the "Apple" approach trying to close everything up so it's harder to get into troubleshooting or confiuration tools to remove, fix or otherwise change it from the way it was setup, don't get me wrong I have an iphone and I like it but there is a reason so many jailbreak their phone..............so they can run other non- Apple stuff on it.................................................it's called a choice, what we should all have when it comes to our electronics toys, and that's my 2 cents worth

#11 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Microsoft fell in love with the mobile, Tablet/ touchscreen idea and forgot that the vast majority love the old reliable desktop look and function .   They lost their focus and it has cost them from being able to sell the new OS to the majority who seem to like what they have . 

Most seem to feel the new OS doesn't have any must haves and are still very unlikely to upgrade ,  Its familiar ,  it's reliable and it just plain works .   If Microsoft was smart they would drastically reduce the price of the new OS like it did when first released because very few will buy it at it's current price..

Edited by herbman, 05 April 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#12 Manish Nasa

Manish Nasa

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

A classic example of what people power can DO. :thumbup2:

Its   :rip:  for the absurd idea of  not having a START button on a Windows based computer. 

#13 StudyVIruses

StudyVIruses

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

I still havn't updated my system i'll stick with windows 7 .

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

A classic example of what people power can DO. :thumbup2:

Its   :rip:  for the absurd idea of  not having a START button on a Windows based computer. 

Ok Just for the sake of the argument. Why is it such an absurd idea?

Why do you need one?

It seems to me like Windows8 works perfectly well without it, You can still launch progs, shutdown the PC etc all without 1.

I see it thus. People are afraid of new things, No start button to me means a slightly new way of doing things, Its like getting a new job at Ford when you have been working for GM for 20 years, Sure you still assemble cars but the process is just a bit different, So you learn.

This is also why I think people are afraid to try Linux, Sure it can do anything that you can do on Windows, It's just that it dont look the same, You now have Libre office not MS, Dragon player not Windows media player that sort of thing. They do not look the same but do the same thing. Learning is fun, Well I think so anyway.

Edited by NickAu1, 08 April 2014 - 12:45 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#15 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Why do you need one?

It seems to me like Windows8 works perfectly well without it, You can still launch progs, shutdown the PC etc all without 1.

I see it thus. People are afraid of new things, No start button to me means a slightly new way of doing things, Its like getting a new job at Ford when you have been working for GM for 20 years, Sure you still assemble cars but the process is just a bit different, So you learn.

This is also why I think people are afraid to try Linux, Sure it can do anything that you can do on Windows, It's just that it dont look the same, You now have Libre office not MS, Dragon player not Windows media player that sort of thing. They do not look the same but do the same thing. Learning is fun, Well I think so anyway.

Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion :)

Working with small business clients who range from very knowledgable to very challenged, the largest issue I noticed was the immediate loss of usability without an explanation of what to do next. The Start Menu and Taskbar are the main way people understand how to use their computer, or more specifically, how they organize their open applications and workflow. By loading the Metro UI rather than loading the Desktop by default, Microsoft alienated users and made them feel like "everything had changed". Although change can be a scary thing I am not opposed to it myself, however I believe the issue here was not the change but rather how it was implemented.

For example, on the Metro UI, how do I know how to search for an application I want to run? Without knowing about the charm in the top-right to search I am left with the icons on the Metro UI, which on my Virtual PC is a mess of exe files from one of my program installation. I did not request any of these icons nor have I run half of these programs related to the main one. This creates a feeling like there is no intuitive way to get from Point A to Point B causing frustration. Playing around I figured out that if I start typing it will start searching, but the normal user expects an input area before they give their input, so they may or may not try this.

Another good one was opening pictures for the first time, by default you are launched into the Photos app, and if you were using Desktop Mode you are pulled back into the Metro UI. This seems problematic for two reasons, first a user may or may not be aware that the top-left charm allows you to switch between active applications, so the user may become stranded on the picture with no familiar way to close the Photos application (pressing back brings you back to the main Photos screen). Secondly the Photos app launches full-screen by default, making it difficult to open a picture side-by-side with the app you are running. Sure you can still access it with alt+tab or by cycling through applications, but there is no easy way to find this if you didn't already know.

Granted these issues are geared for the user who uses Desktop Mode on their Windows 8 PC, but so far in my experience nobody is using the Metro UI in production. At several sites we started using the open-source software Classic Shell as an alternative, and some clients went as far as to downgrade back to Windows 7. I am happy to hear that Microsoft is giving people the option back!

Respectfully,
whoabuddy
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users