Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to know if motherboard supports virtualization

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 villandra

villandra

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

I am using a Toshiba Satellite L355-S7902, PSLD8U-06C01E laptop.   I need to install Microsoft Virtual Computer of various varieties on it.    It wouldn't install.   The option to enable virtualization was greyed out in bios.  

Online forums say that for this group of Satellites, you have to update bios to ungrey it and enable virtualization.   So I updated bios.   My computer had bios 1.90 and I updated to bios 2.10 which lists enabling bios among the changes.    So now it has bios 2.10.   However there is now no option to enable virtualization, and nothing at all about virtualization, in Bios.  

Does this mean that my motherboard doesn't support Bios, or what?   It is a dual core processor, adn both cores are enabled in Bios.   Why would some Satellite L355 have virtualization support, which from the forums it's clear that they do, and others not have virtualization support.   How do we know if this machine supports virtualization or not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

According to Toshiba, virtualization was enabled by default in v2.1. When you updated the BIOS, did you reset the BIOS to defauts? The Virtualization setting may be under something like Advanced Options or Security.

See this link on utilities to determine if the laptop is virtualization capable.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

According to the specifications I found, this laptop has a Pentium T3400 processor.  According to Intel's spec, this CPU does not have VT-x (hardware virtualization) support, unfortunately.  Short of changing the processor (even if it is feasible, there aren't many processors around in that socket that do support VT-x) there's not a lot you can do.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users