Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows7 will only boot into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Frankiejob

Frankiejob

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Today, my 3 year old Windows computer/installation for the first time did not boot normally. This morning I started my computer, got to the welcome screen, entered my password but the spinning icon kept on spinning - Windows would not load. I pushed reset and got the "Windows didn't start normally screen." An attempt to start normally failed, but this time I didn't even make it to the password box, just the spinning icon. On the next attempt I chose Safe mode w/o networking which worked.
I'm guessing that Msconfig/Selective startup is my first troubleshooting step? If so, can someone get me started troubleshooting? BC has been a Godsend for me in the past. I would like to thank everyone in advance for their help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

You can try the msconfig/selective startup or, you could try from the boot menu options (safe mode menu) select last known good configuration instead. Sometimes updates get messed up and cause problems like this. To get to the boot options menu, after turning on the computer from a powered off state: start tapping F8 on your keyboard and then use your arrow keys to highlight last known good configuration, then hit enter, with any luck it will boot up normally.

Edited by zingo156, 02 April 2014 - 11:32 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Frankiejob

Frankiejob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Last known configuration didn't work. Please advise what startup items to disable to begin troubleshooting.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

It is really tough to tell you without having a list of all of them. If you can make a list of all the items in both tabs: startup and then services (click the check box to hide microsoft services in the services tab) I may be able to help you. You could also look in control panel > programs and features, check to see what was installed recently.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Frankiejob

Frankiejob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

I think we can rule out recent software or hardware changes, this problem came out of the blue.
To get you the lists of services and startups, should I take screenshots with my iPhone and attach them via "more reply options"?

#6 Frankiejob

Frankiejob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

It UPDATE
I attempted to boot normally to see if I'd get lucky, and Windows started! but with networking icon in the task bar crossed out, "troubleshoot problems" immediately said that it couldn't identify the problem but my WIFI devices work fine. A motherboard problem? Could I try some sort of repair. I'll wait for your response.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

If you go into device manager, check if there are any yellow ! or ? marks. It could be the hardware failed or a driver has become corrupt etc. The easiest way to get to device manager is to click on your start menu button, then in the search programs and features type device manager and hit enter. This should open the device manager window directly.

#8 Frankiejob

Frankiejob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

Before waiting for your reply, I took it upon myself to check device manager. Yes, there was exclamation mark over 'ethernet controller'. I took it upon myself to uninstall the device while choosing the option to keep the software (leaving that box unchecked). But I decided not to do anything else before hearing back from you, so I'm keeping my computer running for the time being. If it helps, I still have the original RealTeK Ethernet driver on the utilities/drivers CD that came with my motherboard.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

Try a restart after taking the above step, the driver should reinstall. If it does not work after this, go back into device manager, uninstall and also delete the driver, then install the original from the disc, reboot and try agian.

#10 Frankiejob

Frankiejob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Everything seems to be running fine now. The restart didn't fix the driver but I found my Win7 Realtek Ethernet installation setup on the MB software/utilities disk and it successfully installed. Internet is back. I wonder what caused the problem in the first place. But for now everything's great. Thank you very much!

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

Could have been an update for the network card that failed to install. Tough to say for certain. Glad to hear it is back up.

#12 Frankiejob

Frankiejob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

The driver I just installed from the CD is dated 03/22/2010. I doubt this driver auto updates - I never updated anything on the motherboard (Biostar TA880GB+) and Windows doesn't list it in the update history. I guess I was lucky that Windows 7 decided to let me boot into full mode. Then I saw the Ethernet problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users