Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS image to dvd-r ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 walnutt

walnutt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

I want to copy my xp operating system image made with Macrium Reflect Free to dvd-r. Copying direct to dvd while creating did not work. To copy just the 4gb image, from my data partition to a dvd-r I tried using Image Burn and it says Invalid or unsupported file format. I have made the rescue boot disc. The partition where stored is ntfs file format, 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

If you made it with Macrium...it should be an .mrimg file...my backups using Macrium Free are all that format.

Can you see the files in the backup, using the Explorer function of Macrium?

Google Links That May Assist You

Louis

#3 walnutt

walnutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

I can see the files. If I clik on browse for an image to restore. Then when I locate I can see-explore the files.

Could not find any indication about what the file image format is. Would just assume it is right. Someone suggested that macrium would format the blank dvd-r before burning. Do not remember getting that far.

#4 walnutt

walnutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

I figured out  that  format is for rewritable. Tried again choosing DVD-RW rom as destination. Error IDevice 0x052102. Will try different brand dvd-r. No problem when switched destination to data partition on hard drive. (assuming that this  HL_DT_ST DVD_RW GWA_4165B can do the job)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

I don't burn directly to DVD/CD...I burn my images to partitions/drives.  Mine are much too large for CD/DVDs and even if I moved them from hard drive  to another media...I would choose a reliable flash drive that would permit not relying on CD/DVDs.  That would allow me to remove them from unnecessary access day to day.

Louis

#6 walnutt

walnutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

I don't burn directly to DVD/CD...I burn my images to partitions/drives.  Mine are much too large for CD/DVDs and even if I moved them from hard drive  to another media...I would choose a reliable flash drive that would permit not relying on CD/DVDs.  That would allow me to remove them from unnecessary access day to day.

Louis

I am about sold on the flash drive. Any particular type ? I would be amazed if any o those 16gig tiny thumb drives were reliable. Did not know they existed til a few days  ago.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Well...I don't know that any one is better than the other, I usually purchase what seems appropriate and not just fluffy advertising.

If I wanted one today, I would get a 64GB drive, made by a known RAM producer...with the lowest price :).  Vendors I would visit would be Tiger Direct, Newegg, and Amazon.

Examples

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users