Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot failure - Startup Recovery Fails - Win 7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 diddy1960

diddy1960

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

I originally posted this here on March 24, but it got moved to the Malware section by one of the Admins, now the person helping me has told me to post a new topic here, again. I don't really want to bore you with the entire details, but I'll condense the story so far.

===================
The story so far...

(March 24)
After doing a Windows Update the other day, Windows 7 won't start and all efforts at recovery have failed, including the numerous suggestions I've read on various websites, such as FixMbr and FixBoot etc.

When booted normally, it reaches a certain point after the start screeen and then gives me a black screen with mouse functionality and little else. The HDD activity LED indicates some sort of activity going on, but the flashing is random and not constant. I left it overnight last night to see if it would eventually resolve itself, but this morning it was still in the same situation. Booting in Safe mode goes through installing the drivers etc, and then produces the same effect as normal mode. Recovery tells me that it could not repair the problem, with a Locale ID of 1033.

(March 26)
After executing the frst script given to me, little  changed and it was the same situation as before. Wouldn't boot into Windows in normal mode or in safe mode. Goes through the "Welcome to Windows" screen etc, then just gives me a blank screen with a mouse pointer that is active, sometimes with the little blue activity circle. No other response.

The same occurs in Safe mode and the last file it loads in the Safe mode list amdkmpfd.sys, if that helps, then it goes to the same blank screen.

It was suggested to perform a system restore, but there are no restore points, or else they are corrupt... that was the first thing I tried.

(March 27)
It was suggested to try sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows, which I did, and produced a message saying that no integrity errors were found. I was then advised to perform chkdsk /r, which I did, but still had the same situation.

My reply was "When it starts, the boot sequence gets to the Windows logo, then the screen flickers like its about to go to the next stage, and the mouse pointer appears with the little blue activity circle and the HDD activity light seems to be doing a lot of work (constantly lit for at least 45 seconds), before slowing to random slow flashes. Yesterday, I left the machine on for about 8 hour hoping it might eventually get over it's problem, but no luck."

(March 31)
I was again advised to perform sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows, which I did and got the message:
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I was then advised to post this again in this section.

===================
So the status now is:

When I attempt to do a repair, it tells me that there's a problem with Locale ID 1033, but my investigations have found little to help me, as most people are talking about BSOD, and I'm not getting that. Obviously a driver issue, but what one. I could just disable it if I knew that. :-)

If this is of interest, the following is the activity log for the Windows installation since the crash. It seems to be trying to do something, but I don't understand what "fail to register class object 0x80040155" means and a Google search hasn't helped.

There are 5 entries exactly the same as this. This is the first after the boot failure.

2014-03-23 00:23:46:156 1416 3d4 Misc ===========  Logging initialized (build: 7.6.7600.256, tz: +0800)  ===========
2014-03-23 00:23:46:171 1416 3d4 Misc  = Process: E:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
2014-03-23 00:23:46:171 1416 3d4 Misc  = Module: e:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll
2014-03-23 00:23:46:156 1416 3d4 Service *************
2014-03-23 00:23:46:171 1416 3d4 Service ** START **  Service: Service startup
2014-03-23 00:23:46:171 1416 3d4 Service *********
2014-03-23 00:23:46:265 1416 3d4 Agent  * WU client version 7.6.7600.256
2014-03-23 00:23:46:265 1416 3d4 Agent  * Base directory: E:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
2014-03-23 00:23:46:265 1416 3d4 Agent  * Access type: No proxy
2014-03-23 00:23:46:265 1416 3d4 Agent  * Network state: Connected
2014-03-23 00:23:46:655 1416 3d4 Agent FATAL: fail to register class object 0x80040155
2014-03-23 00:23:46:655 1416 3d4 Agent FATAL: Client call recorder fails to init with error 0x80040155
2014-03-23 00:23:46:655 1416 3d4 Agent  * FATAL: Failed to initialize with error 0x80040155 from component Agent
2014-03-23 00:23:46:655 1416 3d4 Service FATAL: Failed to initialize WU client: 0x80040155
2014-03-23 00:23:46:655 1416 3d4 Service *********
2014-03-23 00:23:46:717 1416 3d4 Service **  END  **  Service: Service exit [Exit code = 0x80040155]
2014-03-23 00:23:46:717 1416 3d4 Service *************

Does this mean anything to anyone.

As I can access the Windows installation from my Windows XP and alternate Windows 7 systems, is there anything I can delete, rename or modify that is preventing it from booting, like outstanding Windows update tasks (which I suspect is that main cause of this), so that I can get it past the problem.

I'm getting to the point of reformat/reinstall, but I'm really hoping to avoid that if I can.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

Have you tried last known good configuration from the boot options menu? After powering the system on start tapping F8, from the boot options menu select "Last Known Good Configuration" hit enter, it is worth a shot.

When you are at the black screen with a mouse, can you bring up task manager by using Ctrl + Alt + Delete?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 diddy1960

diddy1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

Hmm... haven't tried the Ctrl + Alt + Delete option, didn't even cross my mind. I'll try.

But as for the other suggestion, I've tried all available recovery options on the F8 screen with no success...

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

What I would like you to try if you can open the task manager using ctrl + alt + delete is: from the windows task manager window, click file > new task (run) in the open box type cmd and hit enter. This will open a command prompt, in command prompt type: start control    with a space only between start(space)control this should open the control panel window. If this works click on the User accounts (top right) then click user accounts again (top left now), then click manage user accounts (or add account if you have the option there), create a new account, make it an administrator, do not add a password for now save or click apply and ok.

Reboot, at the login screen sign into the new account and see if it will fully load. We can try to run some scans from the new user account or:

You can cut or copy and paste everything from the old user accont into the new one. From my computer C:\Users\(your old user) folder copy or cut the following folders and paste to C:\Users\(new user you just created) contacts, desktop, downloads, favorites, links, my documents, my music, my pictures, my videos, saved games, searches (if you created folders in your old C:\users\(old user) copy those as well. For now, do not copy appdata or anything else. If you had mail such as outlook,windows live mail, we may need to pull those from appdata. Likewise if you use google chrome or firefox, we may need to import user profiles from the appdata folder.

Edited by zingo156, 02 April 2014 - 10:24 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

here are better instructions on how to create a new user from control panel: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-new-user-account-in-windows-vista-7/

FROM STEP 6: put the check in administrator not standard user.

Edited by zingo156, 02 April 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#6 diddy1960

diddy1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

No luck with the ctrl + alt + delete option. Keyboard is still responding, at least the caps lock light comes on when pressed, so it hasn't hung or anything, and the mouse pointer is still functional, just a blank screen. Left it overnight again, just on the off chance, but no change when I turned on the screen this morning. I'll try the control panel option later.

I tried booting and saving a bootlog, which has a ton of "Did not load Driver" entries, but I don't really understand too much of what I'm looking at.

The last few (mostly failed) entries read:

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys (but earlier in the log it says that it is loaded)
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \??\E:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64\AODDriver2.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\asyncmac.sys (the final entry in the log)

It also seems to go into a loop for:

Did not load driver @cpu.inf,%amdppm.devicedesc%;AMD Processor

with numerous entries, as well as for: 

Did not load driver @netavpna.inf,%mp-agilevpn-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-l2tp-dispname%;WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-bh-dispname%;WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-ip-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-ipv6-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IPv6)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-pppoe-dispname%;WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-pptp-dispname%;WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver @netsstpa.inf,%mp-sstp-dispname%;WAN Miniport (SSTP)

Each of which appear too many times to count

I noticed there's a PendingRenames folder in E:\Windows\winsxs\Temp with about 27000 items in it (about 1.2Gb). I tried to rename the folder, but it won't let me. There's also a hidden folder called PendingDeletes that has nothing in it.

I noticed this morning that a pagefile has been created on that drive, which I don't remember seeing before.

I did a search of the files that had been modified since last night and found there must still have been activity happening all through the night until moments before I rebooted, mostly vmware-converter-XXX.dmp files (about 110 of them, around every 5 minutes). There's also a lot of activity related to AVG, and some prefetch stuff related to Google update amongst others. 

What would happen if I tried to delete the prefetch stuff? How about simply removing the VMWare folder.

There's also a lot of LOG1 files, but of course they are impossible to read in Notepad. Anyone got a utility that will open them in a readable format?

Clutching at straws...

#7 diddy1960

diddy1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

here are better instructions on how to create a new user from control panel: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-new-user-account-in-windows-vista-7/

FROM STEP 6: put the check in administrator not standard user.

Yeah, but this assumes you can actually get into Windows itself, which I can't... :(

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

Sometimes is sucks reloading windows but in this case I might recommend it. This last Monday I tried fixing a computer where explorer.exe was crashing on boot and would not starty. I spent 5 hours replacing .dll files and finally gave up and reloaded. Every time I got 1 step done a different .dll file would say missing or corrupt.

I am out of ideas currently, maybe some other people will be able to help further. I will give it some thought. Just about anything can be done from the command line.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Hi

As a last resort , please try the below steps one by one.

1. Boot from the Windows installation CD and open a command prompt and then verify the Windows partition's drive letter ( it may not be C: ). Assuming C is the drive letter, enter the below command.

dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

2. Restore backup registry hives from the Regback folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

The tut uses command line but you can do it from your second OS installation.

3. Delete C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

#10 diddy1960

diddy1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Wow, Anshad, that certainly did the trick! Fixed the whole thing right up. After a few little stutters, it rebooted first time...

One question now, what would be in the now backed up Software and System registry hives, which were a lot different in size to the default ones. Is there anything in there that I would need? If I copy them back, would it then restore the same fault I had before?

Thanks heaps for that, VERY much appreciated and it solved a lot of headaches. Thanks also to everyone else who made suggestions. All appreciated.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hi

It is good to hear that we are making progress.  To fix your Windows properly, i would suggest doing the below steps ( pretty long steps ).

1. Backup your Windows as soon as possible. If  something went wrong, we need to restore OS to the working condition. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/

2. Open an elevated command prompt and enter SFC /SCANNOW to initiate a system file check.

3. Do a repair installation.

A repair install Will make your Windows ( system files and registry ) brand new while preserving all your installed programs and data. Then you can start to recieve Windows updates as usual.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

#12 diddy1960

diddy1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Tried to do a  backup, but don't ahve enough space so had to buy a 2TB expansion derive, which will arrive today.

The SFC /SCANNOW exercise produced some errors and repaired them on reboot, and a second check found nothing further, so that's good.

Downloaded a clean version of Win7+SP1 and have burned it to DVD, but will have to do that process later. At present things seems relatively stable, although Windows Update failed last time I checked. I will try again later.

Thanks

#13 diddy1960

diddy1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

I guess this topic is now closed. My machine seems to be relatively stable apart from a few little traumas, so thanks to everyone who helped me out,  especially Anshad Edavana who ultimately gave me the solution.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users