Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Grub

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TonyCman

TonyCman

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hi all

Would really appreciate some help with this...

I am trying to install AVLinux from a USB stick.  I got up and running 'live' and then tried to do a live install.  When I re-booted, I got the error message "incompatible licence, and below that 'grub rescue' .

I am quite new to this so any pointers would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

TC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

checked their website  and noticed that avlinux charges a nominal fee (yea a few distros are not free charge to help bay for development). so since you dont have the licence you cant install. imho you might want to try this linux flavor SolydK  http://solydxk.com/homeedition/solydk/ . it is free and installs easily on a stick. i put it on a 32gig thumb drive. and what is nice is that you never have to reinstall to update to a new version. you get quarterly updates. really like it.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 TonyCman

TonyCman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for the reply but I don't think that is the problem - in any case this is a free distro; from the website:

" AV Linux is a free custom shop modded and rodded 32bit PAE computer Operating System designed to turn a regular old (or fairly new) PC or Intel Mac into an Audio/Graphics/Video workstation appliance"

I do actually want to use the distro to record music so there would be little point in installing a distro that wouldn't be suitable for that purpose.

Thanks anyway

TC

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

Programs such as Ardour are compatible with most if not all distros released since 2008. It appears to me that AVLinux comes 

bundled with several audio-video introductory/ sample versions of programs. You would need to purchase to take full advantage of

those programs bundled with AVLinux. So, why not just get a more mature version of a Linux distro....?

Ardour says this.....Although more or less any Linux Intel/AMD system will run Ardour, the incredible variety of hardware used to build systems running Linux means that your own computer may not be able to run Ardour with the sort of performance you (and we) would like.

It is extremely difficult to provide specific guidance about this. It is worth noting that the same problems tend to affect Windows users too. Contrast this with Apple Mac computers, which are built to precise specifications by a single company that actually cares about audio software.

We have a slowly growing page in the manual about some of the hardware issues that can affect Ardour users (and ways to deal with them). You can also find much more information online.

If there is a specific program you want to use, check with their home page for specifics on hardware requirements or if they are restricted to one specific Linux distro.

From their EULA....you will need to go here 603-EULI.pdf   to read all of it.

The AV Linux ISO Image is a unique and independent 'presentation media' which bundles software content
covered by various licenses. The AV Linux ISO Image is offered free of financial cost and is not a commercial
product itself. AV Linux is provided as a customized self-contained ISO Image derived from the Debian/GNU
Linux Stable 6.0.X (Squeeze) Distribution with some unique performance enhancements, custom packaging
and ease-of-use modifications. Any content within the AV Linux ISO Image derived from Debian/GNU Linux
inherits the same GNU GPL (General Public License(s) in their various original iterations) used by Debian/GNU
Linux. Any unique software applications, content, system tweaks, enhancements or modifications provided by
the developer(s) of the AV Linux ISO Image (ie AV Linux Control Panel, JALV Launcher etc.) are also licensed
under the GPL.
In addition to GPL content the AV Linux ISO Image contains bundled 'non-free' commercial software demo
packages each covered by their own individual 'All Rights Reserved' non-free licenses and each provided with
their respective developers permissions for use within the AV Linux ISO Image for demonstration purposes.
As-provided the AV Linux ISO Image cannot be re-distributed unless these distinct non-free commercial
software demos are removed using the included 'Synaptic Package Manager' software package management
utility with the exception of the Harrison Mixbus bundle.
The pertinent non-free software Debian packages are named in the Synaptic Package Manager as follows:
linuxdsp-lv2-demos, linuxdsp-linuxvst-demos, linuxdsp-guitarfx-lv2-demos, linuxdsp-dyn500, linuxdsp-
eq500, linuxdsp-gt500, linuxdsp-dsr-500, linuxdsp-fc70, linuxdsp-af210, loomer-linuxvst-demos,

pianoteq-demo, renoise-demo

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 TonyCman

TonyCman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

So do I need to remove these packages in order to boot into AVLinux?  Sorry - bit of a noob here and trying to find out what I need to do to overcome this issue...?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

I spent a few minutes and found this at their forum: Installation issues

Edited by buddy215, 04 April 2014 - 11:56 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 TonyCman

TonyCman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

yeah that's me lol

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

FWIW I think "incompatible license" in Grub and it having anything whatsoever to do with software licensing of any packages included in the distribution is a red herring.  A search using the phrase finds a few examples of it appearing with various Linux distributions.  Free Linux distributions BTW.  It looks like it is something to do with Grub not being installed properly.

Some examples:

From Ubuntu forum

Query Inn

More Ubuntu forums (and there is a lot more examples of it there if you search on the phrase "grub incompatible license")

The only thing I could suggest doing is booting from your live USB stick and re-installing grub .  Or failing that going through the installation procedure again, wipe the existing install and try again.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 TonyCman

TonyCman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:34 AM

FWIW I think "incompatible license" in Grub and it having anything whatsoever to do with software licensing of any packages included in the distribution is a red herring.  A search using the phrase finds a few examples of it appearing with various Linux distributions.  Free Linux distributions BTW.  It looks like it is something to do with Grub not being installed properly.

Hi Jonuk

I am inclined to agree!  Thanks for posting those links - I will try restoring Grub using the live USB method (in chroot) and post the results here.

Wish me luck!

TC

#10 TonyCman

TonyCman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hi Jonuk

Thanks again for the links - #2 worked like a charm (i.e. http://www.queryinn.com/index.php/2010/04/install-grub2-from-live-cd/)

Now must dash as I have to compose my grammy award winning first album before tea :)

Much appreciated

TC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users