Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer shuts down, maybe because of temperature

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Barnack

Barnack

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

I really don't know where to post this question, then if you thing it should be in another place, tell me where.

I've a new computer from a while.

In this i have 2 hard disks, but the bigger one is for xp that i haven't installed yet.

However, theese are the hardwares:

Processor AMD FX™-9590 Eight-Core Processor 4.71 GHz

8,00 GB ram

Windows 7 64 bit.

Motherboard Crosshair V formula z, Asus.

So it's not the slower computer ;-)

I teorically can play much gaes wth maximum graphics, but i noticed that while playing by this way, after some time (1 hour maybe), the computer shuts down.

And this happened even when i encode videos with Microsoft Expression Encoder (not at the first video, but if i encode 2 videos of 3 minutes, for example, the comuputer will shurely shut down.

Now, that is a problem of Windows 7?

It may be the processor temperature that makes the computer shut down?

The system for refresh processor (i don't know the name in english, sry) is like this

http://www.tomshw.it/forum/attachments/raffreddamento/20545d1330085808-ventola-assiale-cpu-aspirare-o-soffiare-cpu_amd64_550_2.jpg

Maybe i need something like theese?

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/CPU+Cooler.jpg

http://www.hwupgrade.it/immagini/msiairpowercooling2.jpg

http://www.pctunerup.com/up/results/_201103/20110317190903_lc.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/08-01-13/bhthreephas.jpg

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/1632/mypc9ni.jpg

P.S.: I made the computer buying different parts, it isn't prebuilt.

this one is the motherboard.

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/CPU+Cooler.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ITGeekGirl

ITGeekGirl

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Out of curiosity - what's the wattage on your power supply?

#3 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

Active cooling takes a bit more power, but not that much (maybe 3x a single fan). In your BIOS settings, there is probably a "System Health" or similar screen listing voltages and temperatures of most parts. Make sure the voltages are correct and that the CPU temperature doesn't exceed 70 degrees C. The power supply, itself, will shut down if it is overloaded, also, so ITGeekGirl's question is valid. IMHO, power supplies are cheap enough and reliable enough that you should include a new supply with a new build. The supply should be at least 500W, plus an additional 250W for a good video card, if you use one.

Edited by davnel, 02 April 2014 - 08:57 AM.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

could you read this How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy and paste your link of speecy snapshot on your next post. just snapshot link not upload it :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 ITGeekGirl

ITGeekGirl

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Sorry - yeah. I suppose I should have stated the reasoning behind my question. Your computer is a beast. And it shuts off when you start to stress it, meaning it's possibly not getting enough power to keep your system cool. And when a power supply does not have enough power it will either overheat or just shut off.

Although, with a system like yours - I'd more than likely go 700W or more. Just to be safe. And that's eyeballing your rig.

I may not sound very professional, but I promise that I only post if I feel confident I can help.

Edited by ITGeekGirl, 02 April 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

@ITGeekGirl.

FYI,

Mainboard have autoshutdown when Heat temperature reach spesifik number :wink:
there was 2 type of autoshutdown, BIOS setup and Mainboard, on some BIOS there was a setting that could Disable or Enable or 55 / 60 / 65 / 70/ 75 0C and Mainboard usually autoshutdown when heat temperature over 115 / 120 0C.

#7 ITGeekGirl

ITGeekGirl

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

@abauw

True - but he didn't mention his power supply, which led me to suspect he might not have enough juice to keep his system cool. If I'm wrong, then awesome. But that's why I asked initially. 

#8 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

combined load 400w (id what that means, it's written on the power thing), maximum 1000w.

I don't remember exactly what videocard, it should be sapphire HD 7850 1GB OC GDDR5, but i'm not shure... however something between 7700 and 7800.

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

could you give speecy snapshot link?

#10 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7RmKOMjG4DFTVswfT0QGgXC done.

This "game":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i90Vf2rmb6E

Made my processor reach 40' degrees while playing Conquest frontier wars!!!

Now i understand why it shuts down while encodes videos, process that makes all 8 processors work at 60-70%, consired that Conquest Frontier Wars only uses 4 processors at 20%...

Edited by Barnack, 02 April 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#11 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

Well, I read what I could of the Speccy report, and no hardware/voltage/temp problems stood out, so the issues must be something other than hardware.

40 C at 60-70% load is very good. (Sorry, I misinterpreted that - You said 40C at 20% - that's still fairly normal). If it gets up over 70C you have a problem. There are programs, such as Prime95, that can and will load the entire CPU to 100% for as long as you wish. Good temp test. Your CPU cooler seems excellent. I have a Corsair H50 on one of my machines with an Intel i7-920 and it works great. I found it better to run both the pump and the radiator fan at full speed. You might get away with allowing the fan to be controlled by the system, but the pump should always run at full speed.

Since I don't read Spanish, someone else will have to read and interpret the error messages. It's usually better to specify English for these reports since there are so many other languages, and, like aviation, the common computer language is English.

Edited by davnel, 02 April 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#12 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Ehmmm... it's italian. Sry, but i immagined that the online report would be made in english...

But if the problem isn't temperature, what may cause this problem? Maybe something wrong with the OS? Would be strange, consired i used it for more than 5 hours without troubles, while whith a program that needs many processor usage it may shut down in 2 minutes...

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

I noticed something in Speecy,  Ran frequency seems to be a low reading, The board spec shows DDR3 2400, it looks like the boards ram is running at about 1/4 of spec am I looking at this correctly?

Speecy shows Frequenza DRAM: 668,9 MHz

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#14 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

Sorry about that. The two look similar in print, and I don't understand either

One thing you might try is to enter the BIOS setup and reset the BIOS to "Optimized Defaults" then make any changes necessary for your disks and boot order. That will take care of most CPU and RAM issues. Memory clock speed will show up at half the rated speed (remember - Double Data Rate - DDR - good explanation here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_data_rate  ) or less. Less is not bad and his is running at 1337.8MHz, or a touch over half the rated speed. The motherboard probably won't support more than 1600MHz without overclocking - which is not recommended.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is conflicts with installed software. If possible, republish Speccy in English so we can read the error messages - of which there are a bunch.

Edited by davnel, 03 April 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#15 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

For those looking for a more in-depth explanation of DDR memory operation, see this article:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Everything-You-Need-To-Know-About-DDR-DDR2-and-DDR3-Memories/167

In general, DDR memory operates by setting up the starting address and commands on a 0->1 transition of the clock. After a period of time, called "Latency" and defined by a number of clock cycles, the data will appear at the data bus terminals. DDR achieves it's speed by clocking out one set of data at each transition of the clock. This is accomplished by dividing the memory into two banks and alternating them at each transition. The CPU's memory controller keeps track of all of this so it knows when the data will be on the bus.

OK, I know, you eyes just glazed over and your head hurts. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users