Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Changed Model?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zenfiero

zenfiero

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

Windows 7 64 32 bit (?!)

Crucial m4 SSD 256gb 128gb (?!)

1tb seagate HDD

2tb seagate HDD

core i7 3770k

16gb kingston memory

Edit: Apologies, I'm new here. One post, one problem. I'll put the first and hopefully most simple problem first and then leave the full issue below.

TLDR: What could cause an SSD to suddenly halve in capacity between reboots, including changing the model number the computer recognizes it by?

A bit longer:

I'll try my best to explain this but I feel I am surrounded by madness. How is this possible?

This morning I turned on my computer to a blackscreen and (to cut a long and hazy story short) after some attempts at fault finding I finally managed to get into windows. But.. it's the wrong windows. Indeed, according to everything including my bios, it's the wrong SSD. Somehow between reboots my SSD has halved capacity from 256 to 128, and swapped OS (including all the other files on the drive!) to--get this--not my last, recent install, but the one previous to that. My last windows installation was 64 bit.

The one sitting there now, including all files on the drive, belong to my 32-bit installation from over a year ago, from before I switched to 64-bit and made many hardware changes. I'm reasonably certain that my SSD back then was 128gb.. but I don't remember copying my entire drive over from that one. (And yes I physically checked, this is the 256 drive, despite what my BIOS and windows says; I actually lost the 128 a while ago) I must have done, unless there's something even more strange going on here, but that still doesn't explain this horrible magic trick. CHKDSK says everything is fine. Hah.

In summary: Overnight, with a powered down computer, I've lost half the capacity of my drive, all my documents and user files, and my windows installation, all replaced instead by a doppleganger that by all rights should have been long dead to overwriting. What could possibly have caused this series of madenning events!? If any of you brilliant people can offer help or insight it would be most appreciated.

Edited by zenfiero, 02 April 2014 - 07:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

When you reloaded with 64bit windows did you format and then repartition or just load a new copy over the old copy. It is possible if the old version still existed that you are encountering a dual boot situation of some sort. Why the size of the drive is different remains to be discovered.

It might be worth going into disk management to check if you have more than 1 partition or 1 that has raw space (unpartitioned). Possible sudden partition loss might explain this situation.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zenfiero

zenfiero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

Thank you very much for your reply!

I don't remember back that far, though I can tell you I formatted and repartitioned it a few days ago when I did my recent reinstallation of windows (64 bit to 64 bit). I did indeed check disk management and that also indicated that the drive has 1 partition and that it takes up all but about 7 gb of about 111gb potential capacity. It's completely bonkers.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

In the bios is the drive recognized as 256gb? If it is wrong at a bios level, something happened to the drive itself. Possibly a problem with the firmware or some other failure.

Edited by zingo156, 02 April 2014 - 07:53 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zenfiero

zenfiero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Indeed the BIOS reports it to be an M4-CT128M4SSD2 which is an actual legit model number, and that it has 128gb capacity. I suppose it certainly has suffered some sort of controller failure, but why would it swap entire model numbers on failure? And why\how would it revert back two stages of installation? That's so strange. I was really hoping it was recoverable.

The drive is not even that old. Is this normal for Crucial? I was under the impression that the m4 was reliable. Could you recommend a drive less likely to suffer self destruction in so short a time? No way I'm going to trust this one now to retain any data, for all its protestations that it's fine at 128gb.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

I do not know what would cause a failure on that level. I suppose because ssd's write to each cell equally (to make sure no cell fails early), maybe the data was still there and when it failed, it is booting to whatever was left. You may be able to recover data from the drive, Unfortunately I do not know enough about ssd's to say if it is possible in this particular situation. It might even be possible the drive is ok, and just needs to be flashed with new firmware (I would not recommend doing this before contacting crucial).

As far as reliability and SSD's go: Intel is number 1 in my book followed closely by Samsung. The worst for certain without any doubt was early OCZ Vertex drives, (I can not speak for the versions in the last year) the owner of the shop I used to work at went through 1 about every 6 months, and when they died, they completely died, no data available. He got really good at making weekly images so reload was easy. Also the drive was under warranty every time so he replaced it at least 5 times before switching to an Intel drive. I have an old 32gb X25-E by intel, it has been working for quite a long time, it has had a few bad blocks but after a re-map it continues to work.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

Is your old 128gb ssd still in the computer? If so is it connected? If it is: maybe the 256gb drive failed and the 128gb is working enough for windows to boot from it. It does seem strange to me that the 256gb drive is being recognized as a 128gb drive at a firmware level. If the 128gb drive is not in the computer and you know for certain the 256gb drive is the one recognized as 128gb, something must have happened to the firmware.

#8 zenfiero

zenfiero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Okay! So, I just spent a while fishing around in my computer troubleshooting, plugging and unplugging things and seeing what's what. What did I find out? Some interesting things. Most importantly, that it's not nearly as bad as I feared.

I discovered that I had never actually unplugged my old 128 from the time when I was using it to transfer backups of files, and that I was mistaking its presence for the apparent super-strange fault in my 256 (I should probably remove the old Windows OS files from it though). The fact of the matter was that my 256 is fine, but there was an issue with the case-mounted quick-swap controller that it was mounted into; when I bypassed it with the cables directly to the motherboard, the 256 started! Thank goodness!

So ultimately, little of consequence has gone wrong. Your questions prompted me to have a more thorough root around in the case, and your help kept my morale high so I could get to that point before giving up and ordering a new drive. I'm glad you made me have a second and third look around!

Thank you so very much, sir, for all your help and for your patience! Thank you!

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Glad to help. I had a feeling that old 128gb drive was still connected. I have never seen a hdd or ssd randomly change firmware to show an incorrect model number. I suppose it could be done manually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users