Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down, reports thermal event on restart

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

Hello. I'm runnng WinXP pro SP3 on an Intel  Ci5 2400 box, which I built myself in May 2011 and which has been running just fine until a few days ago. The MB is INTEL DH67CL B3 and the RAM is 4GB Kingston DDR3.

A few days ago it shut down in the night, made a loud siren sound on restart and Windows said it shut down because a thermal event. This has happened a few times since.

The strange thing is the weather is really cooling down here in Australia. All through the hot summer I was file sharing, video editing and compressing and doing tasks which really made the cooling fan sing, but with no problem. The first shut-down was the coldest night of the year, and the computer was just idling.

Anyway, I've removed some dust from the CPU fan and heat sink, and I installed Speedfan 4.47. The CPU is 34c as I type and everything else is in the low 30's except PCH, which is 61c (pic attached).

Last night I left the computer running Windows 7 and it didn't crash, but it did sleep, so that probably wasn't a very good comparison.

Today the computer has been running all day, with multiple apps running and no problem. But the weird thing is it crashes at night or when I am out of the room.

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but it seems strange that this happens a few days before MS pulls support on XP. It's almost as if they've put bugs into the last updates, to force people to migrate to later systems.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Max operating temp for your CPU:  72.6 Celsius, so I would suspect that you need to reapply heatsink/thermal grease.

Louis

#3 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Louis, I'll try that.

#4 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

By way of follow up, I removed the heat sink and fan, separated the fan, brushed the heat sink with a toothbrush and gave it a good blow, scraped of the old grease, applied new grease, and reassembled. The computer started perfectly and ran for three weeks. Then it crashed again, in the coldest part of the night, after running through a number of very hot days without a glitch. After the crash there was an ugly ambulance noize on restart, but then it ran for another week or so.

If I power down while it is working, and restart, it starts fine, without any noise or warning.

BTW the processor is not getting hot. It is the PCH reporting the high temp so I reckon it is the INTEL DH67CL B3 motherboard causing the problem.

My gut reaction now is to ditch the whole box and build another with similar specs but a different MB.

What would other people do?

Edited by Michael Carter, 20 May 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

i would watch the northbridge area of the mobo. my  motherboard has a dedicated fan right over it.  even though your cpu is staying in a nice range, that northbriidge could be cooking. most mobo have heat spreaders on it. but sometimes that isn't enough.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Well...it doesn't cost an arm and a leg...to replace the CPU fan/heatsink so I would go in that direction.  There may be a problem with the fan functioning...which would dictate a replacement, IMO.  A reapplication of thermal compound properly should be more effective than the time period you cited.

As for pinpointing the source of the overheating...you can use software to assist in that.  If you look at the temps for CPU and motherboard, using Speccy, it should indicate where the focus should be, IMO.  If the CPU temp is higher than the MB temp,,,I'd think "replacement".

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2015 - 03:36 PM.

#7 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

Thank you those replies.

Synergy, I believe the PCH temp in Speedfan 4.47 is supposed to give the northbridge temp, and at 67 right now, yes it is cooking. I have read on some other forums stories of my particular brand and model of mobo overheating. Some people suggest fiddling with what is connected to the SATA ports, and yes I could buy a ginormous fan that keeps us all awake at night. I'd still be interested in feedback on the INTEL DH67CL B3 mobo, but my gut feeling it that it's a low cost dud, and needs replacing.

Louis, Speedfan 4.47 is reporting a CPU temp of 39 and PCH (which I believe is the mobo) is 67. I don't know whether another app like Speccy would give different readings, but for me the problem is the mobo not the CPU. My rationale for building a second box is that I need a desktop during the day, and if reliability cannot be assured, I need a spare. I've never had a heating problem before, but I've never used a 4 core processor before. It's a miracle it works at all really, so I guess I can't complain.

#8 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

Just for completeness I attach a couple of Speccy screenshots. I note this gives a mobo temp which is marginally lower than the CPU, but not a north/sandy bridge temp. Detailed core temps in the low 40's seem acceptable to me, so unless I can find an app which records the temps the moment before each crash, the reason for the crash will remain a bit of a mystery.

piriformsum_zpsdf8b301a.png

piriformcpu_zps2cb8e014.png

#9 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

And the screenshots below were taken this morning, when the room temperature has dropped from 25 to 18. The CPU temp is now in the mid 30's, as is mobo temp reported by Spekky. And the PCH temp reported by Speed fan has fallen from high 60's to low 60's. The computer did not crash last night, but most crashes occur in the wee hours of the night, when the room temp is lowest, which is really weird for what is reported as a "thermal" event.

Any further thoughts appreciated.

piriformsumam_zps883dfc27.png

speedfanam_zpse9515d62.png

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

I find that I cannot properly interpret data reported by SpeedFan...it's me, I've tried for years to correlate what is reflected with BIOS and other temp measurements and I just stopped trying to use it.  I'm a simple person and I like to know that what I see IS what I get :).  What SpeedFan reflects as CPU Temp is really motherboard temp, IMO.

CoreTemp is an alternative that I have some confidence in, but I find that the Speccy temps also can be relied upon by me.  I also find that CPUID Hardware Monitor reflects temps that match up easily with Speccy.

One never needs a reason...to have multiple systems, IMO :).  I live alone, have two desktops and a laptop, don't work so I have no "justification" for having multiple systems, other than the fact that I bought 2 systems when I didn't need them...but I wanted them :).

The benefits are obvious...lot easier to troubleshoot issues (both desktops are dual-boots) on my systems, as well as systems of others which surface here at BC.  Safer backups also, although that really could be had by anyone realizing the value of additional internal or external storage drives.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 May 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#11 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Thanks again Louis.  I've ordered the bits for a new box and I might do some experimenting with the old one when the new one is up and running. Once again I appreciate your input. :)

#12 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

Post script:

I built the new box with Win7 shortly after that last post and got my crucial apps installed and running nicely, but I continued using the XP box because it has so many little apps that I use from time to time.

And since then, all through the Australian summer, that thermal error has never recurred, and the box has been running 24/7.

Random pervisity or Sod's Law perhaps? My theory is that the error was caused by a glitch in a Windows update and subsequently fixed. I have no proof; only my observation from the apps mentioned in this thread that the box was never really overheating. :wacko:

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:02 AM

Post script:

I built the new box with Win7 shortly after that last post and got my crucial apps installed and running nicely, but I continued using the XP box because it has so many little apps that I use from time to time.

And since then, all through the Australian summer, that thermal error has never recurred, and the box has been running 24/7.

Random pervisity or Sod's Law perhaps? My theory is that the error was caused by a glitch in a Windows update and subsequently fixed. I have no proof; only my observation from the apps mentioned in this thread that the box was never really overheating. :wacko:

I'm glad everything worked out well for you. Good luck Mate.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users