Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem stopping me getting full speeds on my internet connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Taffy_078

Taffy_078

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

Hi. My desktop is seven years old but has worked well (despite the growing niggles on some sites caused by the combination of XP/IE8).

Down speed (delivered via fibre optic to the nearby neighbourhood control box of ISP provider - British Telecomm - fell to 4.95 mb just now.

One phone line cable from the wall goes to the telephones, the other to the DSL port of my router. A red cable from LAN1 port of the router goes to my modem.

If I disconnect that red cable from my modem and plug it in my laptop, the downspeed is 32 mb.

I also have a wireless dongle in my desktop for my printer. I took that out and lost broadband - I put it back in and got broadband.

By the way, I didn't get any 'cable unplugged' messages.

So it seems to me that the problem is not the modem nor the router but my desktop.

If it is my desktop, is there anything in my desktop's software/hardware that I can check, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

A little  more information would be useful - make and model of both the router and the modem, and the make and model of your desktop, or the main specs if it is a self-built.

Tell me if I have the wiring sequence correct :  BT to wall socket, to phones and to router, red cable to modem. How does your computer connect to the modem - cable or wireless ?

You say that you are getting 32 Mbps when connected by ethernet cable to the router. You would expect to get a bit less using a wireless connection, but not a drop from 32 to 5 Mbps unless you are a very long way from the router or your home is built of reinforced concrete. You also say that if you remove the wi-fi dongle from your desktop, you lose internet. That you would expect. I don't quite understand where the modem comes into this. I have a similar home network - desktop using a dongle, 2+ laptops connecting by internal wi-fi, and a wi-fi connected printer and a router in the middle of it. If I wish to print something, my dongle speaks to the router and the router speaks to the printer.

What is your dongle connecting to - it should be the router.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users