Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did Zero Access come back?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ADHDqueen

ADHDqueen

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

Hello again, yall!

About a week ago, I got help here and had it identified that my computer had zero access on it. I got sent to the other the other forum for viruses, wher I was walked through cleaning it out, and when I was done, I had a little trouble getting the fire wall back up, but I figured it out.  I downloaded malwarebytes and paid for the premium version, and I also downloaded the free version of avast, since I thought maybe my own antivirus, symantec, maybe wasn't all that great.  My computer was working great.  For the last couple of days since they closed my first thread, I have been running scans on malwarebytes and avast every day, it was coming up 0.  

Fast forward to today: it seemed like my computer was running a bit slow. So I did a malwarebytes scan. This time, I made sure "rookit" was checked before running it. Rootkit had not been checked for previous scans.  when it was done, it had a few logs saying that 0Access was found, and so I followed the instructions of quarantining and restarting the computer.

When it was done, I had a little notification saying that my windows firewall was down, but it went back up easily this time.

Why did that happen? Did zero access come back? How can I be sure it's off this time?

I also saw that malwarebytes chameleon is not enabled. How do I enable malwarebytes chameleon? Does it come with the paid version of malwarebytes, or does it have to be downloaded seperately?

Thanks in advance!

also, this is on windows 7 home premium.

Edited by ADHDqueen, 01 April 2014 - 11:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

If you are not experiencing any typical malware related symptoms (signs of infection) with your computer, most likely Malwarebytes found ZeroAccess remnant(s), not the infection itself. Remnants are generally harmless and not a threat...finding them after removing the primary infection is not uncommon.

Chameleon can be accessed by opening the program shortcut folder for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Go to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes Anti-Malware > Tools > Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Chameleon.

Chameleon can also be accessed directly from it's installation folder location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Chameleon\Windows for x64 based systems
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Chameleon\Windows for x86 based systems

For any issues with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 the development team recommend you start a new topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum and report them there.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ADHDqueen

ADHDqueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM