Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help installing Vista from XP

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mecharmor22

mecharmor22

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

XP is about to end, and my new computer won't be coming anytime soon. I have a Vista disc and would like to know how to install it onto my computer from XP. I would also like to know how to uninstall XP without rebooting my computer.

My present OS XP has Cyptodefense ransomware on it, and with XP ending in a few days I still need a computer to use, until my new system arrives. I heard the only way to get rid of ransomware off of a computer is to uninstall an entire OS followed by reinstalling or installing another OS.

I have never installed an OS from a disc before and need all the help I can about it.

My computer from the factory was originally made for Vista, but had XP already installed on it upon ordering. It came with the install discs with the product codes.

The type of Vista I have is Business 32BIT SP1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

I have never installed an OS from a disc before and need all the help I can about it.

Format and Clean Install Windows Vista

http://youtu.be/Xb0xqZ3izqA

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 mecharmor22

mecharmor22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:33 AM

I have Vista now installed my computer. XP is still on the computer, for which i still need to uninstall. But now I have another problem. The internet drivers are down. How do I install them on Vista with no internet?

(I am writing this post from a friend's computer).

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:15 AM

I guess you do not have a drivers disc?

If you know your PC specs you can download the drivers on your friends pc save them to USB you get the idea?

If you do not know your pc specs or are not sure if you will get the correct drivers please do the following.

Can you give us your pc spec's please Type of pc etc.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Download speccy to USB and transfer it over to the other pc. Then save the report to USB and post it here, From there we can look at any drivers you may need.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Edited by NickAu1, 02 April 2014 - 02:17 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#5 mecharmor22

mecharmor22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:42 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/JmM6zvvYlqo2U0M1TPZJzIi

These are the specs I have.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

Hi mecharmor22

I have had a look at the Dell site for you and to be honnest with you am not sure exactly which driver you need, So rather than give you bad advice I have pm'ed a moderator, Chris Cosgrove, To have a look for you. Windows is not my cup of tea, The only reason I asked for the specy report was to try and save some time, ie you posted speccy a moderator or somebody whos a Windows man see's it and finds what you need instead of having to ask for the speccy report.

With 126 views of this thread I was expecting somebody to jump in, Guess I was wrong.

Edited by NickAu1, 04 April 2014 - 12:29 AM.

Arch Linux .

#7 mecharmor22

mecharmor22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

Hi mecharmor22

I have had a look at the Dell site for you and to be honnest with you am not sure exactly which driver you need, So rather than give you bad advice I have pm'ed a moderator, Chris Cosgrove, To have a look for you. Windows is not my cup of tea, The only reason I asked for the specy report was to try and save some time, ie you posted speccy a moderator or somebody whos a Windows man see's it and finds what you need instead of having to ask for the speccy report.

With 126 views of this thread I was expecting somebody to jump in, Guess I was wrong.

When will this Chris Cosgrove guy jump in?

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

If you have a service tag number you can look here. 

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/product/vostro-1510

Edited by NickAu1, 04 April 2014 - 01:00 AM.

Arch Linux .

#9 mecharmor22

mecharmor22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:36 AM

If you have a service tag number you can look here. 

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/product/vostro-1510

I'll see to it, and let everyone know if I still need help regarding my system.

#10 mecharmor22

mecharmor22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:53 AM

I downloaded the driver and transfered it to my system. I loaded it up, and yet Vista still won't recognize the LAN Realtek attached to my computer. The wires work with activity before Vista boots up. But after Vista goes on, the LAN wire goes off. I have the passcodes to my broadband box and tried it many times. Yet nothing works on the system that has Vista. I ran everything from troubleshooting to dignostics. Yet it the system tells me something is wrong with my wires. I had no issues with the wire under XP.

I still believe there is something missing just to get the internet working again on that system.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

HI,

Sorry not to have responded earlier, but I have had my own troubles today - self-inflicted - and only just noticed Nick's PM. I have had a fairly hard look at your Speccy report and there are two or three things that need attention, but I'll come back to them later.

I downloaded the driver and transferred it to my system. I loaded it up, and yet Vista still won't recognize the LAN Realtek attached to my computer. The wires work with activity before Vista boots up

It is not just a matter of transferring the driver to the system, it has to be installed, but it has to be said that Dell's bar-code system is brilliant for drivers and updates for their computers.

To install a LAN driver you need to get into 'Device Manager'. Click 'Start - Control panel - System' OR, if you have a Computer or System icon on the desktop, RIGHT click on the icon then select 'Properties'. Both take you to the system control panel. Towards the top left of the screen you will see 'Device Manager', click on this and the Device manager will open. It lists the devices attached to your computer, and about half way down you will see 'Network Adapters'. Click on the '+' sign beside it and it will expand to show all the network drivers. There should be one called 'Maker's name' - 10/100 Ethernet'. My manufacturer is nVidia, but yours is likely to be Realtek, Intel or Via.

Double click on this line and the control box for your LAN connection will appear, and across the top of this box is a row of tabs. One of them is called 'Driver'. Click on this, then click on the button 'Update driver ...' .  This opens another box which offers two choices - 'Automatic search' or 'Browse'. Since you have the driver, you need to click on 'Browse'. Then navigate to wherever you put the driver file, select it, then click 'Install'. Let it finish installing, this shouldn't take more than a few seconds, then close all the boxes and re-boot your computer. Hopefully, your LAN will now work. If it doesn't, post back.

The other things I noticed from your Speccy report is that your A/V is disabled. This really should be enabled. If it will not turn on, mention this in your next post - malware is always a possibility but since your firewall is active, less likely in your case.

The other thing I noticed is that you are using Internet Explorer v7. This should be updated to the latest version Vista will support, probably v9. And you don't seem to have any printer drivers installed. Is this because you haven't got round to that or that you print by some other means.

Hope this helps towards your most pressing problem - the LAN connection, but turn your A/V on !

Chris Cosgrove

#12 mecharmor22

mecharmor22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

HI,

Sorry not to have responded earlier, but I have had my own troubles today - self-inflicted - and only just noticed Nick's PM. I have had a fairly hard look at your Speccy report and there are two or three things that need attention, but I'll come back to them later.

I downloaded the driver and transferred it to my system. I loaded it up, and yet Vista still won't recognize the LAN Realtek attached to my computer. The wires work with activity before Vista boots up

It is not just a matter of transferring the driver to the system, it has to be installed, but it has to be said that Dell's bar-code system is brilliant for drivers and updates for their computers.

To install a LAN driver you need to get into 'Device Manager'. Click 'Start - Control panel - System' OR, if you have a Computer or System icon on the desktop, RIGHT click on the icon then select 'Properties'. Both take you to the system control panel. Towards the top left of the screen you will see 'Device Manager', click on this and the Device manager will open. It lists the devices attached to your computer, and about half way down you will see 'Network Adapters'. Click on the '+' sign beside it and it will expand to show all the network drivers. There should be one called 'Maker's name' - 10/100 Ethernet'. My manufacturer is nVidia, but yours is likely to be Realtek, Intel or Via.

Double click on this line and the control box for your LAN connection will appear, and across the top of this box is a row of tabs. One of them is called 'Driver'. Click on this, then click on the button 'Update driver ...' .  This opens another box which offers two choices - 'Automatic search' or 'Browse'. Since you have the driver, you need to click on 'Browse'. Then navigate to wherever you put the driver file, select it, then click 'Install'. Let it finish installing, this shouldn't take more than a few seconds, then close all the boxes and re-boot your computer. Hopefully, your LAN will now work. If it doesn't, post back.

The other things I noticed from your Speccy report is that your A/V is disabled. This really should be enabled. If it will not turn on, mention this in your next post - malware is always a possibility but since your firewall is active, less likely in your case.

The other thing I noticed is that you are using Internet Explorer v7. This should be updated to the latest version Vista will support, probably v9. And you don't seem to have any printer drivers installed. Is this because you haven't got round to that or that you print by some other means.

Hope this helps towards your most pressing problem - the LAN connection, but turn your A/V on !

Chris Cosgrove

I was using XP earlier. But had to switch over to Vista since XP was coming to an end. It was hit by a rootkit earlier which the logs could be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529094/my-computer-has-been-hit-by-a-rootkit-and-i-need-help/#entry3327205

But then during the purge, Cyptodefense found its ways onto my computer. Instead of reinstalling an OS that was about to end, I thought it would be better to install Vista until my new system arrived. I am getting a new computer soon, and that won't be in until later this month or in early May. But in the meantime I still need a computer to use for internet and other stuff.

I'll keep you posted as things developed.

(writing this from a friend's computer)

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:22 AM

What you should have done when installing Vista, was during the first stage of install, format all existing partitions & delete them all. This gives you a nice, clean, uninfected drive to work with. It's not too late to do it again.

Let this be a lesson, or learning experience, never install an OS beside an infected one, no matter what.

Just start over & go again.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 mecharmor22

mecharmor22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

What you should have done when installing Vista, was during the first stage of install, format all existing partitions & delete them all. This gives you a nice, clean, uninfected drive to work with. It's not too late to do it again.

Let this be a lesson, or learning experience, never install an OS beside an infected one, no matter what.

Just start over & go again.

Cat

I reformatted the drive, and just did a fresh install. I then installed the driver again, and did what you said in the other post. Still its not working. Also, I noticed that Vista doesn't recognize any SD card I plug in despite device manager registering that there were no issues with it.

The LAN cable is clean and workable. The driver is in the correct spot. Yet its still not functioning amongst all the other issues I have with Vista at this moment.

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

As far as I know, Vista should recognise an SD card 'straight out of the box', XP didn't, but there was a work-around for it from MS.

Dell are renowned for using their own drivers in their computers, it may be that you need the chip set drivers as well. I would be inclined at this stage to go back to the Dell site and download all the Vista drivers for your model of computer. The package should come with an installer and all you should need to do is run the installer, you won't need to go back into Device Manager to install the drivers.

I suspect that at the moment you are just running with the generic drivers included in Windows. These usually give some level of activity, for example, your audio and video will work basically with the generic drivers, but you won't get the full feature set.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users