Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Combofix, no internet, ran winsockXPfix, stuck in aquiring network address

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 scruffy14

scruffy14

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

Yes I ran Combofix unassisted. Then ran winsockXPfix.  and Microsoft fixit #50199.  I have flushed dns released and tried to renew but get error RPC is unavailable.  checked in services RPC dependences are unavailable.  My laptop is a HP Pavilion ZE 4500, I use a Belkin wireless G plus notebook card for internet access.   I had ran ADW cleaner before running combo fix.

I have looked at several regedit items.

I have a jump drive to be able to transfer downloads from a win 7 laptop

Thank you for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 scruffy14

scruffy14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

PS  the laptop is running XP SP3

#3 scruffy14

scruffy14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

Pss  I manually set IP address subnet mask and default gateway, now I have internet access.  Still would be nice to have it be automatic

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Your issue was most likely caused by AdwCleaner as there have been a few similar reports.

As you ran ComboFix, I am assuming you were dealing with a malware infection. Has that been resolved?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 scruffy14

scruffy14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

I am still having  issues.  Most every time i reboot it I have to restart the WZC  in  services.  It seems to lag even more than what I think it should for an unit of this age and operating system.  If I let Iolo System mechanic optimise the internet connections it quits working.  So IPconfig does not seem to look for dns settings automatically.   I feel that there is a lot of lag between when you click on a link or tab. its like its waiting for something to happen then moves on.  Registry issues maybe. 

Thanks for your help.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

I let Iolo System mechanic optimise the internet connections it quits working....Registry issues maybe.

System Mechanic is a comprehensive optimization suite by iolo that purports to improve performance, make repairs and enhance the speed of a computer. It includes a registry cleaner, a registry revitalizer (to fix "so called problems"), system optimizer and several other features.

System Mechanic Pro incorporates the same optimization suite but also purports to plug security holes and protect privacy, and includes System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware. There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc. I cannot find any which have tested System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware. I would be skeptical of any vendor not participating in comparative testing. As such, I would recommend replacing System Shield with a more reputable anti-virus solution.

These types of optimization programs and the claims they make are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results the program detects as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.
Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

#7 scruffy14

scruffy14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

When I try to put  the computer in standby, the screen goes black, but the computer never shuts down.  I do have the instillation disk, should I reinstall the operating system. 

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Reinstall is always an option but if you want to try to avoid that....since you already ran Combofix due to possible malware infection, its log should be thoroughly reviewed by trained experts in order to ascertain what was detected/removed and what malware you're dealing with. A log should have been created and saved to the root directory, usually C:\ComboFix.txt.

Please follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs. (Note: Windows 8.1 Users will not be able run DDS and create a log)
When you have done that, start a new topic and post the required logs to include your ComboFix log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.
-- ComboFix logs are not permitted in this forum.

#9 scruffy14

scruffy14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

I will do that, it will probably be in the morning, as the weekend is when I have time.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Not a problem.