Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dynamic invalid disk

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MrPieGuy1234

MrPieGuy1234

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

Hello all,

Today I was trying to extend one of the partitions on my seagate barracuda 3tb drive. Disk management asked me if I wanted to convert my disk from basic to dynamic, which I accepted. BIG MISTAKE. That failed, and it left my disk showing in disk management as "dynamic invalid". I can't access my data on windows or even a Linux live cd.

After doing some googling I found that by changing some of the values on the disk with a hex editor like HxD (), it would go back to being a basic disk.

After trying this, I realized this method only works on disks that are under 2 tb. I have yet to find a method to fix this on a disk that is above 2 tb. If there is no way to convert it back, is there at least a way to retrieve my data off the disk?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

Hi

The manual Hex editing you did may make the problem worse. You should only try that as a last resort. Anyway, please download and install Partition Guru Pro Trial from the below link.

http://www.eassos.com/partitionguru.php

It may allow you to view the contents of invalid partitions and copy data from them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users