Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard key appears twice?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 balon

balon

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

One key, only 1 - Appears multiple times.

"D"

For a few weeks now, every time I type something sometimes the D key appears multiple times.

dddduck will come out of duck.

Best example I can give. Any thoughts? - Not virus related, thank you for that concern though because I know it's coming :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

Sounds like a sticky key on the keyboard.

#3 balon

balon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Sounds like a sticky key on the keyboard.

Thought so. Any other thoughts?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

I like your location.

#5 balon

balon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

Thank you.

#6 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

I've experienced an identical symptom occasionally (multiple "d" character generation).  It only appears on my Desktop PC after being awakened from Sleep mode.

The problem is infrequently* intermittent so I haven't invested in the time to seek out a permanent cure, but I suspect in my case, the problem may be due to a USB "wakeup" issue since I'm using a KVM Switch on my Desktop and Laptop PC's.  I'm using a PS2 keyboard with a PS2/USB Adapter installed at the output of the KVM Switch.

The fix is simple for me and has worked every time so far.  A Restart will clear up the problem but I tried something different the last couple of times that the problem appeared.

Instead of restarting the PC,  I'll wait for a minute or two after wakeup from Sleep mode, and the problem will stop on its own.

What I'll do is open a Notepad window, and wait while the "d" characters self-generate for a minute or so, then the problem disappears and doesn't return until the next occurrence after a wakeup from Sleep mode.

* I looked at my excel file where I track my PC issues and I had 6 occurrences of this problem last year with no occurrences yet this year.  I hasn't been worth it to dig deeply into the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users