Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The new Malwarebytes found a trojan.fakeAV on 3 PCs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 forjonnyb

forjonnyb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

4/1/14 I just downloaded the new interface of Malwarebytes and did an update and scan. It found this trojan.fakeAV and it shows in the AppData folder is where it resides and is called Toolbar AcceptRate.exe

So what is this and why did it come in from a antispyware company?

BTW. Just did three computers in the past 1/2 hour and the same thing came up on all three. I got the program from FileHippo. This ain't an April Fools Joke either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

It appears you have already reported this to Malwarebytes in this topic and are receiving assistance. Please continue in that thread and follow the instructions you have been provided.

You should not start new threads or duplicate topics elsewhere as this causes confusion and prevents your helper from knowing what else you have done when asking for and receiving assistance at another forum. This in turn makes it more difficult to resolve the issues you are dealing with.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

4/1/14 I just downloaded the new interface of Malwarebytes and did an update and scan. It found this trojan.fakeAV and it shows in the AppData folder is where it resides and is called Toolbar AcceptRate.exe

So what is this and why did it come in from a antispyware company?

BTW. Just did three computers in the past 1/2 hour and the same thing came up on all three. I got the program from FileHippo. This ain't an April Fools Joke either.

This toolbar acceptrate.exe drek appears to come from IOBit... http://www.herdprotect.com/toolbaracceptrate.exe-8d716481e6b3560133cfa67315c4a8be5d0ebe55.aspx

File name: toolbaracceptrate.exe

Publisher: IObit Information Technology  (signed and verified)

MD5: ca0c64a36fdf69e6b916a8906e9ae9a4

SHA-1: 8d716481e6b3560133cfa67315c4a8be5d0ebe55

SHA-256: 8c051d485a974d7c9b2f834ef463a9c0489f76a6f5be48067c45bbbc85051d27

Edited by Union_Thug, 02 April 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

For those not aware of issues with regards to IOBit (EvonSoft.com) products, please read:PC Mag: IObit Security 360 Review

Poor malware removal left many executables, some actually still running. Poor malware blocking did not prevent installation of malware...it just doesn't do the job of removing malware or preventing malware installation.

Although, the Malwarebytes team no longer has an issue with IObit, the vendor's dubious methods would not warrant a recommendation from me to use or trust their software. Further, IOBIT has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users