Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 Professional

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gwb51

gwb51

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

I know this falls somewhere in limbo between between W98 and XP. I'm trying to help a friend. He has an old Dell Latitude laptop. It originally had Windows 2000 Professional as an OS. The product tag is on the back. Somebody "helping" managed to corrupt the W2000 and loaded unsanctioned XP. 

I wiped the HD and loaded Linux Ubuntu. The PC works OK for what he wants. But, he's not familiar with Linux and I noticed the W2000 tag on the back of the case. How can I get a copy of W2000P? If I can find it and load it will the old product code be accepted? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

You should be able to buy Windows 2000 on places like Ebay cheap enough (I've seen some Dell OEM recovery CD's for Windows 2000 available very cheaply).  If it's the same version (i.e. Professional) then the product key you have should work I think, but I'm not sure.  Unlike XP, Windows 2000 does not need to be activated.  You can buy packages complete with new product key cheaply enough though as it's an old OS.  Alternatively does your friend by any chance have a recovery CD supplied with the machine?

Bear in mind as it's out of support, many modern browsers and antivirus programs won't work on it, and no security patches are released.  It is not likely to be 'safe' to use online.  A modern version of Linux will be a better choice if he wants to go online with it to any degree.

Edited by jonuk76, 01 April 2014 - 07:42 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users