Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transfer cables

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

HI,I have been thinking about using transfer cables and one thought that has been going thru my mind is what would happen if like i do have,you have 2 HDD'S in one PC,could you run the transfer cables from one USB port to another USB port  and transfer data,or would you get something like a short circuit by going from one port to another port on the same PC,THANK YOU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

To my knowledge transfering data from one laptop usb to another laptop (or desktop to desktop) usb is not possible, nor recommended. Most computers have an RJ45 port (ethernet) which is likely faster than the usb ports and already setup for file transfer if networking sharing is enabled.

EDIT: you can not copy data by putting a cable into 2 usb ports on the same computer. The hard drives if plugged into the computer through IDE or SATA would already be connected by the sata controller. You could copy data from 1 drive directly to the other from windows explorer or "computer" drive © to drive (E) (or whatever the drive letters were).

Edited by zingo156, 01 April 2014 - 03:33 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

Why would you not use the OS itself and copy files from one drive to another. i.e. From C: to F: After all you did say that the hard drives are on the same computer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:25 AM

HI,Animal, IF I understand you right i can move f: to c:,but miner detail is i do not know how to do that please explain,thank you

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

What OS do you use?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:24 PM

The old HDD PC has WINXP and NEW HDD has WIN 7 they are both in same tower,supposedly you can use the EASY TRANSFER OPTION which is on both HDD'S to transfer from one PC to the other or if both HDD'S are in the tower.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:37 PM

If you have 2 computers running side by side, then you have to use a bridged USB cable or networking USB cable. Ordinary USB cable should not be used, it will shortcircuit + and - voltage wires on both computers. You can also use your internet router to connect two computers, just attach both computers to the router with Ethernet cable, USB cable or over Wi-Fi. Then you can access them in the Network section of the Computer.

But if you have both HDD's in the same computer. Then attach both to the motherboard (both data cable and power cable), then boot into either operating system (better use Windows 7 to boot). You can choose hard disk boot priority in the BIOS or press F12 key (or something similar depending on your BIOS) to choose a hard disk to boot. When Windows boots, the second hard disk would be visible and you can copy files from one to another hard disk.

#8 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:52 AM

HI,Romeo29,I was doing alright until i got to " when windows boots".

The WIN 7 OS is what i have as first boot device,and if i want use WINXP i have to go into the BIOS an change boot order with the F-2 key.

This a DELL E 521,am i missing something by not using the F-12 key,thank you.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:32 AM

HI,Romeo29,I was doing alright until i got to " when windows boots".

The WIN 7 OS is what i have as first boot device,and if i want use WINXP i have to go into the BIOS an change boot order with the F-2 key.

This a DELL E 521,am i missing something by not using the F-12 key,thank you.

That part is optional. Just let it boot into Windows 7 and you would be able to access both the hard disks.

#10 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

HI,Romeo29,What am i missing when you said to let it boot into WIN 7 and i can access both of the HDD'S.

How can i boot into the other HDD without going into BIOS and changing boot order,and as usual it is something simple & stupid and i am looking right at it.

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

You earlier said that Windows 7 HDD is first boot device and if you want to boot from XP HDD then you have to make BIOS changes.

he WIN 7 OS is what i have as first boot device,and if i want use WINXP i have to go into the BIOS an change boot order with the F-2 key.

So I figured why make BIOS changes? Just let it boot to the first device (Windows 7) when both of the hard disks are connected.

In any case, you can press F12 (not F2) very quickly as soon as the Dell logo appears when you power on your PC. Press it 3-4 times quickly. You would see a menu from which you can select a hard disk to boot from.

When Windows 7 runs, it will detect new hard disk and you can access it from Windows Explorer just like any other disk drive.

#12 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

HI,Romeo29,Well i did as you suggested and it worked it was easier then going into the BIOS  and doing the same thing,thank's

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the BC community :)

I am glad that you worked it out :)

#14 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

HI,Romeo29,Well heres something that will make you feel warm and fuzzy.

The WD EXTERNAL HDD that appeared to dead is alive and well and this what i did to it.

Erased the HDD clean,reformatted,reinstalled the firmware updates and when this was all done i went and was able to transfer all of what was on my WINXP OS HDD that was about 7yrs. old,the only fly in the ointment is it shows about 135 errors which i can get access to by going into the EASY TRANSFER WIZARD there is supposed to be list of what was not transfered.

Also i was able to use the EASY TRANSFER WIZARD to get it done which i was not able to do before,even my desktop icons from old HDD are now on the new WIN 7 screen. 

#15 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

That's great :) Time for a cold beer :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users