Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 11 won't open HTTPS sites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buddyclm

buddyclm

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

I have a computer on a domained network, running Windows 7 Pro, IE 11.  When I try to open HTTPS sites, it says to check the web address.  I can log onto the domain on the same computer as the administrator and the same HTTPS sites open correctly.  I thought it may be an issue with the user profile so I unjoined the domain, rejoined the domain, rebuilt the user profile, and same thing.  I removed AV and turned off firewall to see if this made any difference, it didn't.  Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Check the time and date on the computer in question. Try using compatibility mode in IE for those websites.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

time and date are correct, doesn't work in compatibility mode either

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Can you get to https://www.google.com/

or can you ping any secure website?

Edited by zingo156, 01 April 2014 - 03:23 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

no, it doesn't open and I can't ping a secure site

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Sometimes filters can be left behind by anti-virus software, usually you can see them in the network adapter properties. Sometimes a quick fix is to uninstall the wireless/ethernet drivers, then re-install. This should clear out any filter that could have been left behind.

Questions: did secure websites work before updating to IE 11? Did you ping from command prompt, I assume so?

Edited by zingo156, 01 April 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#7 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

it was working this morning on secure sites.  It has had IE 11 on it for several weeks.  Yes, I did the ping from command prompt.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

Since you can not ping secure sites, I doubt it is only related to IE11, sometimes the security settings can get messed up though, you could try resetting IE: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

If resetting IE does not work, I would still try uninstalling/reinstalling the wireless or ethernet drivers (which ever you use to connect). Usually it is a firewall or filter (possible virus even) causing this problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users