Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Protected Seagate 2.5in

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Flexatek

Flexatek

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Simple question, how does one reset a Hard Drive password? Got a laptop here that has a password protected hard drive. I've tried booting from UBCD and using MHDD4.6 but it doesn't show up on the list of local drives. It's a seagate 2.5 inch, model # ST9160314AS.

Looking to format the drive, probably will replace it if we have no luck but I would like to access it to get the Product Key off of drive because the sticker on the bottom is ripped and missing 2 characters.

Or if someone can point me into the direction on how to format the drive so I can reinstall Windows 7 on it, that would be great. I would like to learn how to reset HDD passwords for experience, and I know the master password is "Seagate +25 spaces" but i'm not sure where to enter the master password.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

You have to change the sata operation (in bios) to ATA, Compatibility, or IDE to use MHDD or for MHDD to see the drive. it is probably currently set to AHCI or RAID. Write down the current setting, you will need to change it back to that setting when MHDD is done.

I have never seen a hard drive password: is the drive data encrypted? Is it the windows boot password? Is it a bios password? Unfortunately I can not provide any help in removing passwords. If you would like to format the drive you can do that from MHDD, or you could do that from a windows oem disc when re-installing.

Edited by zingo156, 01 April 2014 - 02:44 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,684 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

If the hard drive is password protected, you are pretty much out of luck in regards to formatting and getting data off of it.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_down_side_of_hard_drive_passwords

http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_recovery/hard_disk_lock.htm

I have no experience with the following company. They will remove the excryption for a fee depending on the capacity of the drive but the data is erased when the password is wiped.

http://www.hddunlock.com/

#4 Flexatek

Flexatek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

Tried changing the Sata settings in bios from ahci to ata, still not luck. Tried atapwd via hirens, no luck again doesn't even recongonize the drive.

I already have a new drive for the system, but the issue is the CD Key stick missing two characters and iI don't want to try each possibility. Any other ideas where I can put it into an enclose & scan it for the CD Key? The data is not important, but I need the CD Key off of it.

Edited by Flexatek, 02 April 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

If the computer is manufactured then the CD key that was used to install Windows will not match the sticker on the machine.   Additionally the key on the drive will allow you to install, but it will not activate.  (Voice of experience here).

zingo156 I don't know what machine this came from, but HP calls this feature Drive Lock.  This is a password that is stored on the drive that will not allow you to access the drive, even if installed in a different machine, without the password.  It isn't encryption as you can turn it on and off and the effect is instant.  You may be able to wipe the drive by reinstalling in the original machine and wiping it from the BIOS.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

I have never used a hard drive password, nor have I run into anyone using one. I learn something every day. 

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 Flexatek

Flexatek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

The drive is still locked. Tried a handful of things, and didn't want to waste anymore time on a 160GB drive. I was just really curious out of experience to see if it were possible. I've ran into this issue before, but usually just replaced the drive and moved on. As far as I have figured out, the Password is built into the firmware and won't let the drive "Spin-up" until the correct password in entered.

It's really a pointless feature to the average consumer, if you even forget one character of the password, they are nearly impossible to get back (for free).

That being said, I was able to figure out the CD Key with a couple trial & error of using different characters. The drive now sicks in the stock of other useless drives. Computer is up & running perfectly.

Thanks for everyone's help. BUT If you guys ever figure something out, please post here. I will always have that curiosity on how to do it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users