Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't uninstall any programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EricZimmerman

EricZimmerman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

While I was attempting to clean a PC of viruses I noticed that I couldn't uninstall any programs in Add/Remove Programs.  The Uninstall button doesn't appear for any programs in the list.  Some items listed when showing updates are removable.

The hard drive was taken out of the infected PC and scanned with MalwareBytes on another PC.  The viruses seem to be removed from the system now but it left the problem of not being able to uninstall.

It seems a virus wiped out the entire registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.

Most posts I have read about this issue state to go into each subkey in the Uninstall folder and change the NoModify entry to 0.  However on two PC's I have that were infected, both Uninstall keys are empty.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.  I'm hoping there is a program that reads through all currently installed programs and rewrites uninstall information.  But I fear that may be wishful thinking.

The computers that are affected are running Windows XP SP3.

Edited by EricZimmerman, 01 April 2014 - 02:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

Reloading/ reinstalling the OS will probably be the best suggestion...you could also use Revo Uninstaller. I install it on every system I work on. About 98% of all apps can be removed (registry keys included) through Revo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users