Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really need help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

I have only just started using Elementary OS "Luna" and i have been trying to install restricted extra's and Adobe Flash Player via the terminal. But whenever i try to use the terminal i get the following output:

limpy@limpy-Elementary-luna:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
[sudo] password for limpy:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
limpy@limpy-Elementary-luna:~/Downloads$

Is there a way to install Adobe Flash Player via the terminal?

Could someone help me out here please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

Have you considered installing Google Chrome for Linux? This isn't to be confused with Chromium from the Software Manager.

Google Chrome has the latest Flash built into the browser.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/?platform=linux&hl=en

I've researched your question & cannot find a 100% correct answer, seems to be more confusion than solutions. Maybe someone else has an answer & will contribute. I've not personally ran that OS.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

The difference here is that this method installs it in /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so, while the manual one lets you install as normal user.

Install Adobe Flash Player Manually

First, we will need to download the .tar.gz archive from the official website. The current version is Version 11.2.202.346 . Next, open a terminal, go to where you saved the archive and uncompress it:

tar -xzf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

After uncompressing it there will be a directory, called usr, and the actual plugin, libflashplayer.so. We'll need only this file. The next step is to create a directory called plugins inside the ~/.mozilla folder, where ~ is your home directory (e.g. /home/username/). To do this type:

mkdir -p ~/.mozilla/plugins

And now let's copy the plugin inside the newly created directory:

cp libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins

This should do it. Restart Firefox and Flash videos should be working now. This location (~/.mozilla) is a folder where most of the web browsers are looking for the plugin, not just Firefox. So once it's set up in there Konqueror or Epiphany will be able to use it too.

You can also manually download flash player unzip it and copy /paste  libflashplayer.so to

~/.mozilla/plugins

Edited by NickAu1, 01 April 2014 - 04:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users