Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW to create a Linux Live CD on an old laptop, OS XP 32 bits???

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Hi there,

I’ve been trying to make a Linux Live CD to be able to stay online after the expiration of XP but still no success. I’ve been on so many different sites with long lists of various Linux versions and tried different times to make the CD but it didn’t work.

This Closed Topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527392/with-xp-ending-what-are-your-alternatives/  has a great instructions for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, unfortunately didn’t work for me because the file is bigger than the 700 MB-CD, and DVD-burning is not working.

So the bottom line is if you know of a safe free link (no torrents) for making a Linux Live CD I sure would appreciate the effort. Please include some clear instructions if possible, and very important is a version that can be used to burn on a CD using my old machine:

Laptop Dell Inspiron 1150, CPU Pantium4 2.80GHz, RAM 768 MB, OS XP 32 bits

Thank you,

Thomas

in the middle of the night

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

and realized was not alone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Check out the thread that I started here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528545/new-lightweight-portable-security-releasedhot/

These are CD sized versions & have regular & deluxe versions for PAE & non-PAE (what you're looking for). Very secure portable OS.

Best of Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hi Cat,

Thanks for the tip but I would rather download from an official Linux site.

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

Try this its puppy linux at only 200 meg

New Long-Term-Supported Puppy

http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supported%20Puppy.htm

Edited by NickAu1, 01 April 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

Hi Cat,

Thanks for the tip but I would rather download from an official Linux site.

That *is* the official site for that particular Linux based distribution.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

Hey there SpyCatcher* - I would +1 that Puppy distro that NickAu1 suggested.

It was the first flavor of Linux I tried out a couple of years back (I've now got a stack of .ISO discs laying about) and it works well and really fast on just about every old machine I've tried it on.

As for the spammer that's trying to get you to purchase something you can get for free....uh, no.  :nono:

And if you're just getting your feet wet and are looking for places to download different flavors from, don't forget DistroWatch.

There's a lot of information there - sometimes it can be overwhelming at first - but there is also a ton of information and official links to download what you're interested in.

Best of luck to you.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:01 AM

Hi NickAu1

Thanks so much for your link. I’ve been reading the info and will be trying to make the cd. There is so much reading and will be trying to find what best works for me. Too many versions. I’m trying to figure out where to start and what to download. I would appreciate it if you can be more specific.

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

#8 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

Hi Winterland and thanks for your kind post.

I’ve been reading the info in the link  NickAu1   has provided and I find it very helpful. However I’m very new to this and will be trying sifting through to find what best works for me. As for  DistroWatch  its too much at the moment because I’m trying to make a working cd before april 8. If you by any chance would have a quick tip what distro to download I would really appreciate that.

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

#9 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

So I was able to make the cd and posting now using it. My senciere thanks for NickAu1 and last but not least for the great linker BC for being a wonderful place linking people around the globe.

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

So I was able to make the cd and posting now using it. My senciere thanks for NickAu1 and last but not least for the great linker BC for being a wonderful place linking people around the globe.

Glad that Puppy, a very popular Linux distro, is working well for you. I've used it myself, nothing wrong with the OS at all as a basic bootable OS that you can carry anywhere. There are even mega releases of Puppy (up to 3.8GB), but this requires a DVD burner or 8GB Flash drive.

Yes, BC is a wonderful site that is well managed, one that brings many together. And a clean one. As a resigned moderator from a poorly managed Windows 8 forum, I can appreciate the efforts of the BC staff & attest that this is the best multi-OS forum that I've ever participated on & plan to for years to come. There is a wealth of information here, seldom do I need to create a topic, as it's already been asked & resolved.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

You are welcome how do you like it? Fast isnt it?

We have another Linux convert?

Remember this. That is only a basic Puppy if you want 1 with the works 3.9 GB of it let me know. And yes the big pup will be just as fast. And it has everything you would ever need pre installed.

Booting from 'live CD''  everytime you reboot all the default settings will return.

You can avoid this by.

Installing puppy to USB and creating a save file I would suggest a 4GB stick and if you plan on adding stuff etc making the save file big at least 2 GB.

or booting from CD and creating a save file to USB or on your HDD.

you could also install VM on puppy and run XP that way.  This would require you to install puppy to HDD.

If you plan on going this way please reply here and I will guide you thru some updates, Ie latest Firefox and flash player.

If you need any help let us know.

@ Cat isnt puppy Unbuntu based??? Real men run Unbuntu. LOL LOL. Hippie Liberal Latte sipping vegeterian tree huggers run Mint. LOL LOL LOL

Look out we are about to start the my Linux is better than yours thing lol.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 April 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#12 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

Real men run Unbuntu. LOL LOL. Hippie Liberal Latte sipping vegeterian tree huggers run Mint.

I prefer Mint over Ubuntu....hey, wait a minute!    :mellow:

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

I prefer Mint over Ubuntu...

So do I! Mint has a more familiar Start Menu that Windows users can easily adjust to.

Of course there's a learning curve, but that's the deal with anything new.

Cat

#14 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

Hi NickAu1,

This puppy is what one could wish for. Very safe and extremely fast. Great tip :clapping:  Really happy with it, thanks once more. I also do really appreciate that you would like to help with further installation. What I’m thinking is learning working with it one step at a time. I also find the idea of running Wary5.5, what I’ve just burned on the CD,  from a USB-flash drive very appealing. So it would be really great if its possible posting some specific instructions about how this could be done.

Most probably after getting used to it might seem just the right thing to install the full geared OS on my laptop while keeping XP for offline. By then (maybe this summer) I would ask in this thread and I hope you will be still around.

Thank you,

Thomas

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Try this its puppy linux at only 200 meg

New Long-Term-Supported Puppy

http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supported%20Puppy.htm

This is amazing. It loads faster from the CD, than XP + anti-virus software etc loads from the hard drive on my old laptop.

It works faster too. Using XP, my old laptop just isn't quite fast enough to play videos on youtube smoothly. No such problems with Lunux Puppy.

Thank you for posting this link.

Edited by Al1000, 07 April 2014 - 06:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users