Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Book World Edition (white light) not responding also

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BillCatz

BillCatz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

FYI, My My Book World is experiencing the exact same thing so, I'm very interested in a solution.  

I purchased a USB drive to expand it and when it is connected, the situation becomes worse.

I updated firmware but that made no difference. 

I am suspecting the hardware at this point.

Moderator Edit: Split from  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508496/my-book-world-edition-white-light-not-responding/

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 April 2014 - 11:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

Hi, It is worth a try to follow the directions given here.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/940/c/130/p/228,209,263

It is possible that the hard drive inside may be having problems. Another possible source of trouble, What type of external drive did You buy, a USB Portable or one that has its own dedicated power supply? If it is a portable it could be an indication that the World Books power supply is going bad as it would increase the load on the power supply.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 BillCatz

BillCatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

I've run disk checks and the drive appears OK.  The USB drive was another WD World series drive.  

I have implemented virtually every so-called solution to this problem but not a one has made any difference.  There are dozens of suggestions from shutting down MIONET and Twonkey to adding swap to .....  None of them have resolved the problem.

What is interesting is that there are many people experiencing the exact same thing and all of them have been searching for a solution for nearly 3 years to no avail.  Western Digital has been made aware of the situation but they don't seem to care.

I can't afford to waste anymore time with this POS.  I've ordered a Seagate solution to replace this brick with.  I will never purchase another Western Digital product again.  I don't care how good the product is as their support is non-existent.  No support makes the company worthless in my opinion.  

Edited by BillCatz, 11 May 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

It is a shame that a drive bought to allow a household to backup to it from all computers is unreliable.

I think I have two of these, so far at last test they were working. However I also have to say that they are low hour drives. I only power them up occasionally. I do not like leaving external drives of any type running 24-7. The one exception right now is a Qnap TS-220 NAS. I have two 2Tb WD Red drives in use with the Qnap.

And I see it is offline after the recent power outage. Hopefully it is OK.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 BillCatz

BillCatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

A backup solution that won't allow you to backup or recover is no backup solution at all.

A customer support function that relies on unknown others via an open forum for solutions is also not a customer support solution at all.

A drive system that is unreliable is as worthless as no system at all

Three strikes and you're out.  WD is out.  Customer loyalty is earned and WD just tossedd years of customer loyalty out the window with this almost 4 year old problem with no solution and, no attempt at a solution.  You leave your customers hanging and we'll go hang out with somebody new.

Edited by BillCatz, 14 May 2014 - 10:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users