Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Huge Vulnerability To Be Announced On 5-18-06

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Security Geek

Security Geek

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:11 PM

NIST.org is going to be posting information on a vulnerability that affects nearly everyone on a home or small office network (even if it only has one PC). We're currently under a Non-Disclosure Agreement so I can't provide details. But I've been provided with enough detailed information to tell you that you'll want to pay attention to this one.

I will give you a hint, the vulnerability is in a 'standard', not any one product. So it will affect a lot of people. The only thing preventing this from being 'the big one' is that it is not remotely exploitable without user intervention. In other words someone (and not necessarily you. hint. hint.) will have to be tricked in to doing something.

We're not usually so melodramatic but we want to make sure as many people see this as possible. Some info has been leaked on this already but the details are quite impressive. So be sure to come back here on 5-18, probably late evening (GMT-6).

Update: The story will be going online shortly after 7:45am (GMT -6, Central Time) on 5-18 using the following link:
http://www.nist.org/news.php?extend.125

Edited by Security Geek, 18 May 2006 - 05:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users