Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 will not boot, startup repair shows baddriver

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dachsung

dachsung

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

Good morning everyone.

I am having a constant boot cycle and my windows 7 will just not boot up completely. It will just show the windows 7 logo for a second and then it will restart. I've tried chkdsk, sfc scans and just cannot get windows to boot properly. Please help. Thank you so much.

The Windows Repair Problem Signature
Problem Event Name: Startup Repair Offline
Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 3: Unknown
Problem Signature 4: 21200770
Problem Signature 5: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 6: 4
Problem Signature 7: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

This is what I get from startup repair after stating that startup repair could not repair my PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Boot into Safe Mode; if the problem really is a bad driver hopefully Windows will not load that driver. From Safe Mode do a system restore to a date immediately before all this happened. I assume that you have not been making regular system backups to an exterior hard drive, right?

#3 dachsung

dachsung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Will not boot into safe mode,, tried restoring to earlier point and still does not boot.

So frustrating. Anything else that I may try?

#4 dachsung

dachsung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

Is there a way to remove all drivers without boot into windows? i tried renaming driverstore, drvstore, drivers folders and it boots directly into startup repair. and from there same result.

#5 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

Do you have an OEM disk or a retail disk of Windows? If you have a retail disk you can do a Repair Reinstall, link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

I would guess the third bullet point from the top under "Warning" would be your choice.

When you get your unit back up and running, I suggest you set up a backup system on an external drive, a complete partition image is the most foolproof.

Before you do this, I also suggest that you use a virtual distro to save any valuable data on that drive. Reatogo is an excellent choice but there are many others.

Before you do the above, you might want to run a check on your memory sticks. Remove them, lightly clean the contacts and reinstall them and try to reboot. If no joy, then test your memory:

My canned fix:

*Download Memtest 86+ , the "precompiled Bootable ISO (zip)" file (free) from my link; burn it to a CD. Be sure your BIOS is set to CD=1st boot device, Hard Drive=2nd boot device; reboot with the CD in your DVD drive. You will see the screen appear and the testing will automatically start. When it has completed all the tests, the message "press key to exit" will appear. Any errors found will be listed, even one error means that stick of memory is bad. I suggest testing each stick separately if you have more than one installed. Testing will take approximately 20 minutes.

Edited by ranchhand1, 01 April 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#6 dachsung

dachsung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Is there a way to do the repair install if I cannot boot into windows at all?

I tried the upgrade option from the win7 disc and the upgrade option is available only from within windows... and my system won't boot into it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestion so far.

#7 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:43 PM

You're right....I was thinking about XP where you can use the system disk to do a repair reinstall from outside Windows. I can't imagine why M/Soft did away with that, it was an extremely powerful tool and I saved many a person's OS that way. I have to think about this. BTW.... if you decide to reinstall Windows and need to get data off, there are several options open for you. Just a thought.

#8 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hello dachsung..... I found something that may help; use my link, and scroll down to post #11, "diogones".  I hope this helps.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/137061-Windows-7-will-not-boot-possible-corruption!

#9 dachsung

dachsung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Thank you guys for all the help. I decided on just reinstalling the OS.

I hope this issue doesn't come back again.

Thanks again everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users