Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Windows 7 OEM on existing computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 purplemon

purplemon

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

I'm using XP. Can I format my hard drive and install an OEM version of Windows 7 and register it? Is the only caveat that I won't be able to uninstall the WIn 7 OS and reinstall it on a new computer in the future? Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

install an OEM version of Windows 7 and register it?

You can as long as you are the owner of the key number from Microsoft. M/Soft doesn't give a rat's posterior about the kind of OS, just who owns the license.

Note: I strongly suggest you run the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor before formatting:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

I won't be able to uninstall the WIn 7 OS and reinstall it on a new computer in the future?

Not sure. I think it can be done, if I remember right I have done it for clients (since they are registered to the license) but I can't remember exactly.

Edited by ranchhand1, 01 April 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

If you have a valid license...for a MS OEM/System Builder version of Windows...that hasn't been installed on another system...you may install it on a given system.  Once installed on said system, the OEM license is non-transferable, by definition.  Retail licenses are transferable.

OEM versions of Windows that relate to a given system manufacturer (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) can only be installed on the system to which the license applies.

Louis

#4 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

Well, I got up off my lazy caboose and looked it up, now I remember why I was unclear. The rules are a bit relaxed, although you are technically correct. I was pretty sure I did it for a couple of clients and I didn't remember them having problems. Bottom line is that you are allowed to replace the motherboard (the basis of the computer) but it's a gray area. Here are the details:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/replacing-motherboard-on-system-running-oem/9aed1ae6-99f9-477a-940b-d8d9003f9246

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

I see nothing "gray" about the EULA for OEM licenses.

I can't say that I'm convinced that the personnel charged with enforcing PA...adhere to the EULA interpretation in each and every instance...but I would not expect them to violate the terms of the EULA and official MS policies.  That's just setting yourself up for disappointment unnecessarily.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users