Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying from ext hard drive to anotha ext

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crazykittykat

crazykittykat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

Hi I just got my windows 8 laptop 2 mths ago, haven't had any problems till now... I've got 2 ext hard drives and i'm copying selected things from one to the other... i get through copying maybe 1 or 2 items and then it says hard drives not responding and freezes and then shuts it down and i get a purple screen and then it returns to desktop with everything shut... I have done Norton scans on both hard drives and laptop and nothing found... Could someone please tell me why this keeps on occurring please... :welcome:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

you could try copying from the command line...

Win key+R, type cmd and then enter.

xcopy e:\*.* f:\whateverdirectoryyouwant /s  Where e: is the drive letter of the drive containing the files to be copied and f: is the drive you want the files copied to. On your system the drive letters may be different.

I'm not super up to date with Win8, but it worked for the last 3 Win OS's.

edit: this will copy the whole of e:\ drive, you can select what you want specifically.... Here's the switches

Edited by TsVk!, 01 April 2014 - 06:46 AM.

#3 crazykittykat

crazykittykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

Thankyou I will give it a try and i will post bak how i go... Thankyou :busy:

I gave it a try.. But im a bit cautious on doin things that i don't know much about now on comps since ive destroyed a few computers over the years... But I appreciate the help immensely... :oopsign: Thankyou 

Edited by crazykittykat, 01 April 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

just try a little if you are scared, for example:

xcopy e:\testdirectory f:\testdirectory /s

that way you can see what these commands do.

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users