Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What the crap is wrong with my touch pad left mouse button in Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 NYDingbat

NYDingbat

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:58 AM

Hey, guys!

I didn't want to bother you with this - but it's starting to make me nuts.  I've looked all over the intertron for answers, and have seen quite a few problems like mine, but the circumstances don't quite fit my situation - or at least I haven't found it yet.  Most of these complaints are the result of upgrades or not updating drivers and whatnot.

I JUST BOUGHT a new laptop.  I'm talkin' nine days ago.  My first foray into Windows 8.1.  So far everything is fine except for the touch pad.  Every now and again the left mouse button refuses to do what left mouse buttons do and I must touch the screen to click on a tab, a spot on a page, etc. It starts working again shortly, but still, what the hell?

Also, occasionally, when I put the mouse pointer on the scroll bar to move through a page, then move the pointer off the scroll bar and onto a link or a spot in the page I need to type or whatnot, it's as if the pointer never left the scroll bar and the page keeps moving up and down when I try to get to a particular place on a page.

I've got an Acer laptop running Windows 8.1 with a Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad, driver version 17.0.6.13 - did a check for updates and was advised the best version was currently installed.

I shall await your sage counsel.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:03 AM

I JUST BOUGHT a new laptop.  I'm talkin' nine days ago.

Unless its a software issue, Like drivers, And I doubt it is but i may be wrong. Take it back and get it fixed/replaced under warranty.

with a Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Every now and again the left mouse button refuses to do what left mouse buttons do

I had a Microsoft Arc Touch mouse that was the same ( it was faulty)

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/microsoft-arc-touch-mouse-inmst2165

Edited by NickAu1, 01 April 2014 - 02:09 AM.

#3 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

I agree, it could be a bad mouse.  But check these things out

• The mouse.  Try new batteries ( I know its new)
    • the surface you are using it on.  Use a mouse pad, or dark surface. 
    • is it a USB connect mouse, or wireless one?  If wireless is it Bluetooth or another type.  If bluetooth check the bluetooth driver package.
    • Drivers.  Instead of letting windows check for the drivers (they can cause a bunch of issues due to microsofts lack of checking them out) go to Acer or Synaptics and get the drivers there.  It could have a fix that Microsoft has not vetted yet and has no update from Microsoft.  Plus, good rule of thumb is to get the drivers from the source if you can.  Less chance of issues. 
    • Do the same with the Bluetooth drivers if it uses bluetooth.
  • Overall, try another mouse if you have one, still the same issues, then take the computer back.  Its really not worth the head ache that this can cause. 
  • If another mouse works then the mouse could be broken. 
  • If its a USB connected third part mouse, check to see if the USB is plugged into a USB + port.  These have the most power to them, and some devices will not work well without the extra juice.  You find them by looking at the USB port and see if there is a + or little lighting bolt on the USB port. (not all have them but its a start).
  • Also check Acer forums to see if others have this issue with your same model

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:30 AM

Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Thats why I said take it back.  They have dont have batteries do they?

Edited by NickAu1, 01 April 2014 - 03:32 AM.

#5 NYDingbat

NYDingbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

Wow! That was fast!

Czarboom - thanks for the tips - but I'm using the touchpad, not an external mouse.

NickAu1 - I'll take it back to the store today.

Have you guys heard this problem a lot? I read through several pages in this forum but I didn't see anything. Like I said, I did see this problem on the intertron, but mainly it was from people using Windows 7 or upgrading to 8 or updating drivers - I didn't see anyone having the problem right outta the box. If the fellas at the store give me any information on it, I'll post it here.

Thanks so much for your help and the speedy replies!

#6 suzie77

suzie77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:15 PM

Hey, guys!

I didn't want to bother you with this - but it's starting to make me nuts.  I've looked all over the intertron for answers, and have seen quite a few problems like mine, but the circumstances don't quite fit my situation - or at least I haven't found it yet.  Most of these complaints are the result of upgrades or not updating drivers and whatnot.

I JUST BOUGHT a new laptop.  I'm talkin' nine days ago.  My first foray into Windows 8.1.  So far everything is fine except for the touch pad.  Every now and again the left mouse button refuses to do what left mouse buttons do and I must touch the screen to click on a tab, a spot on a page, etc. It starts working again shortly, but still, what the hell?

Also, occasionally, when I put the mouse pointer on the scroll bar to move through a page, then move the pointer off the scroll bar and onto a link or a spot in the page I need to type or whatnot, it's as if the pointer never left the scroll bar and the page keeps moving up and down when I try to get to a particular place on a page.

I've got an Acer laptop running Windows 8.1 with a Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad, driver version 17.0.6.13 - did a check for updates and was advised the best version was currently installed.

I shall await your sage counsel.

Thank you in advance for your time and effo

OMG! I AM HAVING THE SAME EXACT ISSUES!!! I bought this touch screen Dell with Windows 8 in October (hate Windows 8) but laptop worked fine until I downloaded 8.1 a few days ago, now my PC is behaving exactly as you describe leaving my laptop unusable for work stuff. I thought it was a windows 8.1 problem but my husbands Dell with windows 7 is doing the same, left mouse button not working or only occasionally working. I called Dell about my PC, spent almost the entire day on the phone with tech support, they uninstalled and reinstalled all my drivers for the mouse/touchpad and my touchscreen and still the same problems persist. I am so angry! Dell says it could be a software compatibility issue but don't know and can't fix it, they said I could send my pc to them and they can try and fix it but they would need to keep it for 11 days, no way!! PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU FIND OUT BECAUSE I AM READY TO SMASH MINE AND SUBMIT A CLAIM TO GET A NEW ONE IF THIS PERSISTS!

Edited by suzie77, 01 April 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#7 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

OK,

I looked around and this seems to have started after certain updates from windows and has caused issues with every mouse type and manufacture of systems (Dell, HP, Etc, etc)

First off I would try to run your device in Safe Mode and see if the issue goes away. 

• To get to safe mode in Windows 8 & 8.1 look at the guide here.
  • For Windows 7 & others look here.

If it still happens reboot into normal mode and try the following

1. Roll back Drivers.  For a guide on how to do this in Windows 7 & 8 or 8.1 click here.
  2. Uninstall Updates One at a time until your touch pad starts to work.  This takes a while and I would reboot after you do this.  For a how to for 8 and other versions click here.

Lastly,

If nothing is still fixing it you can try the following solution.  This has worked for a few people, and might work for you as well.

Stopping delay for fix

• From your desktop view move your mouse or touch the bottom right side/corner to bring up the side menu
  • Once you get there click or touch settings
  • At the bottom select "Change PC Settings"
  • Click on "PC and Devices"
  • Then click on "Mouse & Touchpad"
  • There is a drop down box, click it and select "No Delay (always on)"
  • While you are there make sure the top menu under "Select Primary Button" is left.  (NOTE:  You could also try switching this to Right if this does not work, thus disabling your left button and replacing its function with the right one. )
  • Save or Exit out and reboot.  ( you might not need to reboot, if you do, and it’s still not working check to see if the settings have changed)

Overall, it seems Microsoft pushed a update that has created this issue.  Again, if this does not work, get it back to wherever you got the system from and get a new one. 

Good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#8 suzie77

suzie77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:11 AM

OK,

I looked around and this seems to have started after certain updates from windows and has caused issues with every mouse type and manufacture of systems (Dell, HP, Etc, etc)

First off I would try to run your device in Safe Mode and see if the issue goes away. 

• To get to safe mode in Windows 8 & 8.1 look at the guide here.
  • For Windows 7 & others look here.

If it still happens reboot into normal mode and try the following

1. Roll back Drivers.  For a guide on how to do this in Windows 7 & 8 or 8.1 click here.
  2. Uninstall Updates One at a time until your touch pad starts to work.  This takes a while and I would reboot after you do this.  For a how to for 8 and other versions click here.

Lastly,

If nothing is still fixing it you can try the following solution.  This has worked for a few people, and might work for you as well.

Stopping delay for fix

• From your desktop view move your mouse or touch the bottom right side/corner to bring up the side menu
  • Once you get there click or touch settings
  • At the bottom select "Change PC Settings"
  • Click on "PC and Devices"
  • Then click on "Mouse & Touchpad"
  • There is a drop down box, click it and select "No Delay (always on)"
  • While you are there make sure the top menu under "Select Primary Button" is left.  (NOTE:  You could also try switching this to Right if this does not work, thus disabling your left button and replacing its function with the right one. )
  • Save or Exit out and reboot.  ( you might not need to reboot, if you do, and it’s still not working check to see if the settings have changed)

Overall, it seems Microsoft pushed a update that has created this issue.  Again, if this does not work, get it back to wherever you got the system from and get a new one. 

Good luck

I tried rebooting in Safe Mode and the problem does go away, so now what??? I can't run my computer in safe mode all the time. Should I proceed with your other suggestions? I had already tried uninstalling a few recent updates and no luck. I had originall thought it was a windows 8.1 update problem but my husbands windows 7 pc has the same issues :(

#9 NYDingbat

NYDingbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

Naturally, when I brought the laptop in the other day, the issue didn't present - it only happens occasionally.  The guy at the store is going to extend the time I can bring it back if it keeps occurring.  And he said to keep in touch and he'll look at it further if I want.  There's another guy I'd like to talk to as well if I need to leave it for a bit.

So, no news.  Thanks for the update, czarboom.  I had made sure my touchpad settings were as you said.  But still, every so often the left side of the mouse bar still results in nothing and that wacky scrolling thing happens even when I move the mouse pointer off the vertical scrollbar.  This is nuts. 

#10 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

yeah, its a windows issue, that windows knows about but being Microsoft, they seem to not really care that much.  Sorry I couldnt give you better news, but if I were getting out of the box issues, I would be right back to the store for a new one. 

Lets face it, no matter the OS or computer make X amount fail in 30 days, then 90 days then 1 yr.  Just the way technology is, I've fallen victum to this myself.  I worked as a BioMedical Equipment Tech, fixing Xray, MRI, Mammo devices, Ultrasound etc.  About twice a year a customer would be down, I would order a part and the part would come in broken, or fail as soon as voltage was applied. 

good luck and if you need anything else please let us know.

Also, if you ever fix the issue post back here if you remember.  I will follow the thread for a bit, until you say you fixed it or returned it.

thanks

CZARBOOM 

#11 NYDingbat

NYDingbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

Hey, czarboom. 

If it's a Windows issue, won't I have the same problem if I return it?

And thanks again for your interest, skill and time.  I'll certainly post anything I find out.

#12 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:36 AM

Depends, seems right now Windows either is not telling us what the issue is, or they dont know what the issue is.  Either way get a new one, just backup your files and folders, pics, documents etc.

Then with luck, when you get a new system, it will not happen again.  But, unless MS gives us a fix, and a why you never can tell.

good luck

CZARBOOM 

#13 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:22 AM

I think that luck will disappear as sometimes it was not Microsoft fault, as they was upgrading their Windows and others Brands Manufacture doesnt react fast to upgrading their system, they only wait untill some customer get problem and fixed it :smash:

could you read How to Enable or Disable Touchpad Edge Swipes in Windows 8 and 8.1 and applied it to Methode One, read comment on their will be good and sorry I dont want to playing with Registry so I dont suggest to try Methode two :wink:

if you still experience with it could you read this How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy and paste your link of speecy snapshot on your next post. justsnapshot link not upload it. :wink:

Could you go to Device Manager and go to your Touchpad Properties then click on Detail Tab then scroll down to Hardware Ids, right click on the string on the top then press Ctrl C (kyboard shortcut for copy) and paste it on your post:wink:

Edit:
correct wrong BB Code :wink:

Edited by abauw, 07 April 2014 - 02:25 AM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#14 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

Just wondering if you tried to uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall again.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#15 NYDingbat

NYDingbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

Thank you, abauw and FrankOtheMountaiN!

abauw - I don't like messing with the registry either.  I'll check out the first method though.

FrankO  - no, I haven't tried that yet - I'll start there - just evaluating all the advice - this seems like the most logical place to start.  If that doesn't work, I think I'll just go with czarboom and get a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users