Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless connection HP Laptop Pavillion 9000 with Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_L

Paul_L

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

My wife's laptop wireless internet access stopped working. The wireless router is working fine for this desktop and another laptop.

Vista reported that the wireless capability was turned off. The gadget icons on the right of the screen showing temperatures in two locations and three stock prices reported that service was not available.

I found a switch on the front edge and moved it off and on. The gadget icons on the right of the screen  started working. IE and FireFox were still unable to reach www.google.com. Control Panel > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection 2 Status > reports no connection. Diagnose still reports that the wireless capability is turned off.

But, the gadgets are reporting temperatures and stock prices!!!!!

What the heck?????????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

Please go to command prompt by typing cmd (Enter) in Start orb search box. Type ping google.com and then post the Sent | Received | Lost results.
Can you check if the laptop has any wireless light indicator when its on/off? Post also the complete laptop model next time.

Edit : See also this thread.

Edited by jhayz, 02 April 2014 - 12:57 AM.

Tekken

#3 Paul_L

Paul_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:48 AM

Hi jhayz,

The laptop is an HP Pavillion dv9628nr running Vista. The wireless switch is on the front edge slightly left of the touch pad but right of the three blue power lights. There is a little white light immediately to the right of the switch. Moving the switch turns the light on and off.

Upon power up the Gadgets reporting temperature and stock prices appeared. The temperature seemed about right. In a command window I pinged www.google.com and got four replys averaging 17 ms. Firefox is able to load the google and citibank pages. But, the switch and light were OFF. So, I moved the switch to the right and the light came ON. The ping still worked, the web pages still loaded. I read the thread you linked to. I don't see any screen ikon switching on and off when I move the switch.

I think it is working but something weird is defintitely going on. I'll update this thread if it refuses to load web pages again.

Paul_L

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

:thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users