Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD accessible, but not booting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheCatsButt

TheCatsButt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46

HDD1: Maxtor 6V160E0 (Win7 Ultimate 64)

HDD2: WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B0 (Win7 Pro 32)

I had been booting into the Ult drive so far, but after a BSOD, it was forcing me to boot from the Pro drive. After checking in My Computer and then BIOS, I noted the drive wasn't even being recognized by anything. It didn't exist.

Try1: I switched the Ult's SATA cable.

This seemed to fix it as I was able to boot into the Ult drive and use it normally. However, last night, I lost my connection to the Internet. It happens, so I just had Windows run Troubleshooting, but it wasn't able to complete. I checked the connections and my wireless was disabled. I selected to enable it, but the task froze. I selected to end the task and that resulted in Windows Explorer not responding, then restarting. I tried enabling the connection again with the same results. I physically removed the wireless USB adapter to witness no change in the connections status. I rebooted.

Shows me the Pro login screen. Blergh. Here we go again. But this time My Computer shows the Ult drive and I can access all files from it. Rebooted to see even BIOS knows it's there. So I checked online for a support forum, found this one and read how different companies have diagnostic tools.

Try2: Ran all Basic Tests from SeaTools. All passed.

All I can think of now is maybe, since the drive isn't dead, it might be something with the boot record?

I've pretty much ruled out:

-power supply

-data cable

-dead drive

-dead mobo port

Granted, it's never wise to rule anything out until it has been confirmed, so... Anyone know where I should go from here? I think I lost the disk during my last move, so a fresh install may not be possible unless I find it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

I think I lost the disk during my last move

Any of these help?

These are very high speed downloads which should take anywhere from 30 minutes to about 50 minutes, if you have a high-speed broadband connection.

Thеѕе аrе NOT illegal – Thеѕе аrе јυѕt thе download links fοr Windows 7 SP1 ISO whісh іѕ a retail wrap thаt offers a 30-day trial period. Yου need tο activate уουr Windows afterwards wіth a genuine license activation key tο continue using іt. Downloading thеѕе files frοm Digital River іѕ absolutely legal аnԁ completely free οf charge.

Link Source.

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

How to find out if I have a 32 or 64Bit version of Windows installed on my computer:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

After downloading the correct .iso file use ImgBurn or Gear ISO to create a bootable DVD.

Create a Bootable Windows 7 DVD using the .ISO file
Burning a Windows 7 ISO File on a DVD
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/977640

@ Admin and moderators. I notice we get quite a few people who have lost or do not have a Win7 disc, I was wondering, Can 1 of you guys please copy the links above into a sticky thread called something like "Legit Windows 7 downloads". And the Lock the thread , Thanks.

Edited by NickAu1, 31 March 2014 - 11:21 PM.

#3 TheCatsButt

TheCatsButt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

Cool. I'm sure it will, but I think I'd like to see if anything more about my problem can be found out before I try that. Fixing a file or two sounds better than starting over. :P Though, chances are I'll have to start over anyway.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

I am not suggesting you format or anything like that. Try fixing your problem first all I did was point you in the direction of a replacement disc.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

@ Admin and moderators. I notice we get quite a few people who have lost or do not have a Win7 disc, I was wondering, Can 1 of you guys please copy the links above into a sticky thread called something like "Legit Windows 7 downloads". And the Lock the thread , Thanks.

IMO....in theory a good suggestion, but (IMO) it is not the responsibility of this website to monitor, post, or otherwise concern ourselves with downloads of Windows O/Ses.  That responsibility belongs to Microsoft...we are not agents of MS.  The idea of telling members that a given download of Windows is legal (as opposed to illegal) doesn't fall within the desires of the owner of this site.  As far as I'm concerned...until the day that MS states that Windows is available gratis to all or something similar...any download is illegal.  I cannot account for Microsoft's seeming inability to stop the Digital River downloads...not my job :).  I only know that legally MS owns all rights to Windows and leases those to individual users and organizations based upon various MS EULAs.

The only downloads hosted by this website...appear in the Downloads section.  You do not see any version of Windows among the programs offered in the Downloads area :).  Individual suggestions by any member...to download whatever...well, it's an indiviual suggestion and may not necessarily be in consonance with MS policies and legal requirements.

OTOH...the determination that a given install of Windows is illegal and/or any information pointing to a known site practicing O/S piracy is a valid concern of this site, since such is a violation of existing forum rules.  That is a valid website concern.

Personally...I don't ever suggest anyone download a copy of Win 7 from anywhere...based on my understanding of the fact that Microsoft considers any site permitting/hosting such downloads to be in violation of their legal rights...and MS is slowly taking legal steps against many of those websites that currently or formlerly hosted such downloads.  Many of those sites have disappeared...I suspect that more will disappear in the not-so-far future.

Are Digital River download links for Windows 7 legal for the general public to use - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/3f21f41a-514c-464f-89c3-fae48482b054

Are Digital River's download links illegal for use by people not - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/are-digital-rivers-download-links-illegal-for-use/9a121cdc-6c23-481a-bd5c-2753f2578423

FWIW:  Somewhat Related Site Policy Statement

Just my opinion...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

Hi

Louis

Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that it didnt matter where I got my ISO from ( eg digital river) as long as I used a legit key to activate it ( by legit I mean 1 I paid for) or If its OEM as long as I only installed on the laptop that has the oem sticker on the bottom and using that key to activate it, and not on another pc.

Thеѕе аrе NOT illegal – Thеѕе аrе јυѕt thе download links fοr Windows 7 SP1 ISO whісh іѕ a retail wrap thаt offers a 30-day trial period. Yου need tο activate уουr Windows afterwards wіth a genuine license activation key tο continue using іt. Downloading thеѕе files frοm Digital River іѕ absolutely legal аnԁ completely free οf charge.

That is a direct quote from 7forums. Thats why I figured it was ok.

Just my opinion...

Your opinion means a lot in my book.

Thanks again

Nick.

Ps my intentions were good.

Edited by NickAu1, 02 April 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

I never question the intentions of forum members...with regard to other forum members...other than spammers and those who may promote ideas which are contrary to forum rules & policies.I

Is the Win 7 forum...now the official policy agent for Microsoft? 

I was under the impression that the Win 7 forum...is just one of several different computer help forums, akin to BC in that respect and having no official affiliation with Microsoft, hardware, or software vendors.  The forums which have a direct affiliation with Microsoft...are well-known and obvious when visited.

Legal rights is what piracy, product activation, and illegal downloads/installs...are all about.  Not popularity, not feasibility, not whether "everyone is doing it.".. BC respects the legal rights which Microsoft holds...and the implications of actions possible should a person decide to ignore those legal rights.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 April 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#8 TheCatsButt

TheCatsButt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

Almost forgot about this thread. Methinks it's time for an update.

My situation has not yet been solved. Still not booting from the drive, but still able to access everything on it.

Before doing anything with the data on the drive, I wanted to make sure I had a working install disc. I still don't know which side of the legality fence DR is on, but that's all irrelevant in my case as every attempt to get the iso on a disc has failed. According to some research I did, it seems those downloads have been corrupted. Multiple downloads confirms this for me. And yes, I know how to do it. Even so, I still make sure to have instructions handy as a precaution.

Simply put: For the moment, my problem remains as is. Might ask family nearby if they can help out, but I'll be out of the country for a while in a couple of months, so I might just deal with what I have for now until I get back.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

Hello thecatsbutt, interesting name you have there.

I see that your hard drive is a SATA drive, I am curious as to what settings you have regarding this hard drive in your system's BIOS setup utility.

Can you please enter your BIOS and tell me what parameters you have set up regarding this hard drive?

My memory escapes me slightly as to what options are available, however if need be, I'll enter my own BIOS and list those 3 options in this topic and have you check yours against mine. But there has to be a correct parameter chosen for the drive to boot correctly and function properly.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

I figured I'd step back in and state I rebooted my machine and entered my BIOS just so I could update and post those hard drive options.

Please check your BIOS for a possible mention of SATA operation.

Please check to see what operation is currently being used from the following options:

RAID AutoDetect /AHCI

RAID AutoDetect /ATA

RAID On

Or

Combination RAID/PATA Combination Mode

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users