Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Monitor Graphics Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chuncster

Chuncster

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hey there, i'm pretty good with computers, been using them for basically my entire life. I've got the understanding to determine the problem with a pc and how to solve it.

I've basically already solved the issue i'm about to share with you guys. Now i know you're going to say "So then why come onto the forums to ask a question you already know the answer to?" Simple. MONEY. I cannot afford the option I've determined and so i'm scraping the barrel to find alternatives before i devote the lump sum of chaching. I digress, here's the problem, in-depth answers with advice and tips is GREATLY appreciated.

I own a self-build PC mainly used for gaming and streaming. duel monitor with some average-high end specs on it (see attached dxdiag for details and giggles if you're into that)

This problem has literally arisen out of the blue, no damage or foul-minded actions happened to counter that statement.

About a week ago i went downstairs for a cigarette (took me around 6 minutes) and when i got back to my desk, my monitors were displaying odd colours (see attached .JPG pics for physical evidence)

I thought it odd at first but never the less restarted my pc and continued, simply thinking that leaving my pc in that state must have made it happen for some odd reason.

Life went back to normal for the next 24hours, until it happened again. This time when i was at the desk. Literally out of the blue, mid sentence on an email to my boss, the screen changed to the same colours, disallowed me from doing anything with the peripherals and so i had to restart once again. This time i was alarmed, and this time i did my research.

Turns out (from what i've found) that my hunch was correct in that it was a fault in my GPU. This rose 2 questions, however: Why almost 4 months after purchase? How did the fault develop out of the blue?

I found that the only way i could stop the problem was to hand it in to the manufacturers and get it repaired, or simply buy another one. This is the money-heavy point. You see, the GPU i have (AMD HD 7K Series bla bla) is worth a pretty penny to me, and so replacing it isn't really an option right now. I also don't want to give it up until i know for sure that it'll be fixed, and that being without it will not hinder my job in any way (a lot of work is done on my pc)

Basically what i'm asking, is that you guys look at the pics, the computer specs and collectively give me advice and tips on what the heck i should do with the issue at hand. i would cry tears of great joy if this were to fix, it's having a large impact on work, seeing as when it freezes i cannot communicate with it anymore, and so unsaved work is deleted and frustration builds up. The window looks like it'd look better with a pc thrown out of it!

Thanks again guys, muchos appreciated.

Chunc.

PS: Images are both larger than the minimum file size, and so i uploaded them to tinypic and the links are below. Cheers!

Main Monitor: http://oi58.tinypic.com/35bys03.jpg

Secondary Monitor:  http://oi62.tinypic.com/wwkn4w.jpg

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

Hello and welcome to BC :welcome:

could you read this How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy and paste your link of speecy snapshot on your next post. just snapshot link not upload it :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Chuncster

Chuncster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

Hi there, thank you!

Here we go, done and dusted: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XAWKEKjUvBFal1wUEEF6HVw

Chunc.

PS: Take no notice of the terrible, terrible HDD, i'm working on buying a new one!

Edited by Chuncster, 31 March 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

The simple solution is to return the faulty card and get it replaced under warranty. Consumer protection laws vary but 4 months is not an acceptable life for a graphics card anywhere. In the EU you'd probably be able to get it replaced even if it goes wrong some time out of the warranty period.

If you have integrated graphics you can use those in the meantime, or buy/beg/borrow a cheap card to use while its being fixed.

Your Core i7 has integrated graphics which support multiple monitors. It's not much good for serious gaming but will enable you to get work done.

Edited by jonuk76, 31 March 2014 - 09:20 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Chuncster

Chuncster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

The simple solution is to return the faulty card and get it replaced under warranty. Consumer protection laws vary but 4 months is not an acceptable life for a graphics card anywhere. In the EU you'd probably be able to get it replaced even if it goes wrong some time out of the warranty period.

If you have integrated graphics you can use those in the meantime, or buy/beg/borrow a cheap card to use while its being fixed.

This is a solution i've also come to, seems simple enough however the time it takes for the process to complete is the bummer. I'm simply trying to find all my options and make the best one for my current situation.

Chunc.

#6 Chuncster

Chuncster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Just discovered that the company that sold me the GPU has closed down. But i was dead in the water anyway, turns out i bought this GPU almost 2 years ago *pulls collar*

I guess my only option is to replace D:

Chunc.

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

which one is correct? buy 4 month ago or 2 years ago?

*from speecy report

ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Manufacturer: ATI
Model: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Device ID: 1002-6819
Subvendor: Gigabyte (1458)
if speecy not have misreading than your VGA card brand was Gigabyte and Gigabyte offer 3 years warranty http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/customer-service.aspx?ck=5

#8 Chuncster

Chuncster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Well in that case, abauw, either either am i right?!

I'll contact them immediately and see what they can do!

Chunc.

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

it's better to make sure if that brand was Gigabyte :wink:
unplugged you VGA and see does it have Gigabyte sticker or it was written on the card?

#10 Chuncster

Chuncster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

Yeah i know it's gigabyte. I didn't buy it from gigabyte, and the research i just did indicates that gigabyte's warranty doesn't cover GPUs. They say the vendor i bought it from holds the warranty.

Chunc.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:46 AM

If the retailer no longer exists then obviously you cannot return it to them.  Who was the retailer BTW? 

Under UK consumer laws the retailer is legally responsible for the goods, which is probably why they direct you to the retailer in the first instance.  But *if* the card is still under manufacturers warranty then I can't see why they would refuse to deal with it seeing as the retailer no longer exists....

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Yeah i know it's gigabyte. I didn't buy it from gigabyte, and the research i just did indicates that gigabyte's warranty doesn't cover GPUs. They say the vendor i bought it from holds the warranty.

Chunc.

you couldn't do a direct buy from Gigabyte as they only sell it to authorized dealer / reseller and that authorized dealer / reseller that sell it to user to buy and I believe this will apply on all Brand to protect dealer / reseller to get they selling target.

I dont know about Gigabyte RMA policies in US but in my country I usually bring it to Gigabyte Authorized Dealer as they open an Authorized Service Center and they only check warranty seal and do inspection physical card for any burn / water / corotion sign, if that card pass physical inspection then they will RMA it for free, if not pass physical inspection they will charge it.

about vendor that you say holds the warranty could you tell more about it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users